• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Upcoming Time Capsule tied to iCloud, caches software updates?

Reaction score
Upcoming Time Capsule tied to iCloud, caches software updates?

timecapsulerecalltuaw.jpg

We recently reported that many Apple retail stores are running low on stocks of AirPort devices, and this is usually a strong indicator of an upcoming product refresh. 9to5 Mac has followed up on that and says its sources claim a refresh is indeed imminent. A new version of the Time Capsule, currently undergoing internal testing at Apple, will cache software updates for any devices that regularly connect to its Wi-Fi network. The device will "learn" which devices regularly connect to it and silently download updates for them in the background without user intervention.

This functionality will work for both Macs and iOS devices, enabling users to install software updates from local caches instead of waiting for them to download first. John Gruber of Daring Fireball also speculates this could enable devices such as the iPad and iPhone to perform software updates without being tethered to a Mac, as is currently required.

9to5 Mac points out this technology already exists in Mac OS X Server, although in a more simplistic form that downloads software updates of all types rather than device-specific varieties. They also speculate that these new Time Capsules could be tied into iCloud, caching music in a user's online storage locker or large, frequently accessed files, and also providing user backups to iCloud.

No one knows for certain when such devices will debut, nor can we say with any certainty that they even exist. All we know thus far is that current stocks of AirPort devices are dwindling at some Apple stores, and while WWDC is expected to focus on software, that doesn't specifically preclude the introduction of new hardware like a Time Capsule update.

Upcoming Time Capsule tied to iCloud, caches software updates? originally appeared on TUAW on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 20:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
I don't want ANYTHING from or to the "cloud" except software updates and patches coming in when needed. Everything on that topic should be optional only.

Bandwidth is expensive enough as it is, I do not want ANY backups going to any time capsule backup except the one on my desk. I do not want any data remote and out of my possession either, or have to restore from the net.

This crap is great for people who have hi speed unlimited internet, but many of us do not. The same reason I want DVD copies or thumb drives with my software on it, downloading sucks, is time consuming and uses bandwidth i need for other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wow, I must have missed the point where it said you're required to use this in the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/11 17" MBP 8g/500 Glossy, IPod Touch 4thgen 8gig, 32Gig Verizon 3G + WiFi IPadII
Wow, I must have missed the point where it said you're required to use this in the article...

It's not about you. Nor did I say it was required.

But if that's the direction they're headed..I'm out. On that topic, anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.