Macbook Graphics Card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
I'm thinking of getting a MacBook 2.0 GHz by the end of this month. I like everything about that laptop EXCEPT for one thing, the 64 MB ((SHARED)) Memory Graphics Card!! What was Apple thinking putting such a low graphics card. Maybe I am underestimating it, I mean was SHOCKED too see a guy running Windows Vista Aero Glass on that very same laptop. I mean my current PC laptop has 128 MB Memory and its independant (not shared) and Aero Glass doesnt work with me, whereas Macbook has a 64 MB graphics memory and that IS shared but Aero Glass works on that ???!

Someone willing to explain this please :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
That mother worked great!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ugh, still the same old taskbar balloons. feh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
i am running Vista on my macbook and it runs fine and fast (1g of ram) helps, the core of the intel integrated is 400mhz and the other details make it pretty good, vista wont lag, as long as you got 1g of ram or more, just like OSX runs good with 1g or more.

the macbook is meant as a small light laptop, an external vid card drains alot of battery so they left it out, would be hard to fit an external vid card into a macbook, is cramped already.

Reaction score
i am running Vista on my macbook and it runs fine and fast (1g of ram) helps, the core of the intel integrated is 400mhz and the other details make it pretty good, vista wont lag, as long as you got 1g of ram or more, just like OSX runs good with 1g or more.

the macbook is meant as a small light laptop, an external vid card drains alot of battery so they left it out, would be hard to fit an external vid card into a macbook, is cramped already.

Are you running Boot Camp ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mathiau,

Is Aero Glass working with you? And how is the graphics performance in the Macbook. I mean doesnt 64 MB shared seem pretty low to you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Mathiau,

Is Aero Glass working with you? And how is the graphics performance in the Macbook. I mean doesnt 64 MB shared seem pretty low to you?

keep in mind that when running in Windows the card can use upto 224megs of your system memory the 64meg limit is a OS X limit only.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean the graphics card uses memory from the RAM? So is that done automatically when you run Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean the graphics card uses memory from the RAM? So is that done automatically when you run Windows?
the Intel 950 Graphics chip in the MacBooks uses system memory in both OS X and XP/Vista. Its a shared memory design. The Graphic chip has no memory of its own. So when booting with XP/Vista the OS can use up to 224megs, but in OS X it can only use 64megs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh so in other words, running Vista on Macbook is like running a PC with 200 MB graphics memory right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh so in other words, running Vista on Macbook is like running a PC with 200 MB graphics memory right?

Well not exactly, using the system memory isn't the most efficient setup, so what tends to happen is there is a bit of latency issues and thats one of the many reasons why integrated graphics chips aren't the greatest unless they are like some of the Ati 200Ms which would sometimes have their own 128megs of graphics memory plus what every they could grab from the system memory.

The Best setup is a dedicated video card with dedicated graphics memory like the ones in the MacBook Pro (ATI x1600). But the regular MacBook is a budget system so we get a budget video card.

Reaction score
rediculous

i believe that if one is paying one thousand dollars, which is a good load of cash, for a laptop, the least Jobs can do is ADD A FREAKIN' GRAPHICS CARD INTO THE BOOK. but mac has always been, and still is very stingy on the graphics options in every computer. but i do hope that they soon change this in the macbooks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What guy ran vista with aero glass on a MacBook?

I ran Vista on a 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mini and AERO worked faultlessly. Very smooth.

I would show you a screenshot but I just installed Vista to see how it would work and later zapped it as to me a Mac is for OSX. I have other machines for Windows, but it does work and well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.