Flash Drive won't play mp3s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
Hello everyone,

Here's the story:

I bought a 16GB USB Flash drive off ebay. I know there's always a risk of getting fakes, but I took my chances.

Everything seems to be working alright, but for some reason, it's not able to play mp3s. I tried adding different mp3 files, opening them in different media players, and moving the files on to the desktop, but nothing works.
WAVs don't seem to work either - maybe it doesn't like audio files?
There's an avi file on there that plays fine.

I'm not sure what brand the flash drive is (it's a jewelery flash drive, so there's no logo on it). I also can't contact the seller, because it appears they aren't a registered user anymore.

Any help would be wonderful, and please, no lectures about buying hardware from ebay (I'm already kicking myself).

Electro Orca

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Does it work if you move the files to your computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I bought a 16GB USB Flash drive off ebay ...it's not able to play mp3s. I tried adding different mp3 files, opening them in different media players, and moving the files on to the desktop, but nothing works

I think you've answered your own concerns about authenticity and functionality in saying that a) "everything seems to be working alright" and b) "an avi file on there that plays fine". Therefore, the flash drive is working.

First suggestion: transfer all your flash drive material to your hard drive if possible, or to some other storage device, and then reformat the flash drive with Disk Utility (although one of our Mods recommends using Win to do that job).

Second: check that a 16 Gb flash drive is fully functional with whatever Mac and MacOS you're using (which are ??????). In that I'm thinking about what format to use when reformatting the flash drive.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Such a quick reply - you guys rock!

Here is my Mac information:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB

Mac OS: 10.5.8

It would be great if I could get the flash drive to work on other computers as well. If I reformat it, will it only work for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked! Thank you so much!!! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.