Fax Modems on G4 Tower

Reaction score
I was wondering what internal modems are compatable with the G4 series of Powermac's? Does OS X include the drivers for modems like US Robotics and Diamond Multimedia? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It's highly unlikely that there are any PC modems out there that have official Mac support. The G4s were offered with a built-in (as in, on a proprietary connector on the logic board) modem as an option, so there is little demand for a Mac compatible PCI modem.

All I can suggest is that you buy one and try it. If it doesn't work, it just won't work. You won't damage your Mac unless you install it incorrectly.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about damaging the computer, but I need to find an internal ISA or PCI modem to use with the fax software I have right now. Unfortunately the software cannot use multiple Apple USB modems, thats why I have to have an internal modem. I did find a website that sells compatable apple modems, but they are ISA slots only and the computer that I have has PCI slots. :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will look around and see if there is any PCI Modem that will work in a Mac with OSX. Macs have never had ISA slots by the way, just PCI and the really old Macs had PDS and Nu-Bus.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
M
Reaction score
Unfortunately the software that I am using can only take advantage of 1 usb modem. I did find a site that has old Diamond Multimedia modems but I cannot find if they are mac compatable or not. I do remember when 56k was all the rage, diamond made some of the best fax modems out there, and I think I had a Performa that had a Diamond Supra Faxmodem installed in it...Does anybody know if Diamond Fax modems are compatable with mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
just go to ebay and tyoe

mac modem 56K

There seems to be a good choice out there.

I'll also have a look in the attick to see whats up there

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.