Bootcamp or Parallels

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should pony up the dough and buy snow leopard so I can use bootcamp or just get parallels for tiger. What do you think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Depends on what you intend to run in Windows. Games? If so, then you'll want to use Boot Camp. Otherwise Parallels or Fusion will be fine. Or, the free VirtualBox from Sun.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
To add to what has already been said, if you need the full performance of Windows for things like games then you will want to use Boot Camp. Running Parallels or Fusion is like dividing your computer in half so your Mac won't run Windows at your computer's full power nor will your Mac OS X run at your computer's full potential when using either application.

The downside of Boot Camp is that you have to restart your computer every time you want to use Windows whereas with Parallels or Fusion you can use both OS at the same time. The other option is you can have both Boot Camp and Parallels or Fusion but that means it will be more expensive for you since you have Tiger.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Trying to decide if I should pony up the dough and buy snow leopard so I can use bootcamp or just get parallels for tiger. What do you think?

FYI...you don't need Snow Leopard to run bootcamp.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
FYI...you don't need Snow Leopard to run bootcamp.

- Nick

That is, if you can find a copy of Leopard at a reasonable price. But then, who would do that when Snow Leopard is $29?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In my opinion, virtualization is the best way to run Windows, period. It's completely sandboxed and easy to recover should it get borked. My only holdback would be is if you play games, as has already been stated. And I would actually recommend VMWare Fusion, which is in my experience, more mature and stable.

More information here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

OP
V
Reaction score
thanks guys, appreciate all the help. I think I am going to try and get the snow leopard upgrade, I have been told that you can upgrade tiger to snow leopard with the upgrade cd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.