MBA mid-2012 - "Service Battery"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Hi,

Last summer (Aug. 2012) I bought a Macbook Air (13", 2 GHz i7, 8 GB). At the moment the battery has (according coconut and iStat apps) 273 load cycles, but the capacity has reduced to 77% (5147 mAh).

[In Apple adverts it was stated that new MBAs will retain up to 80% of the capacity up to 750 cycles] - obviously this is not the case.

In addition, when I click the battery icon at the top, it says "Service Battery".

How do I solve this problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In addition, when I click the battery icon at the top, it says "Service Battery".

How do I solve this problem?

You have 12 months of Applecare...check with Apple.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have 12 months of Applecare...check with Apple.:)

- Nick

Yea, I will do that if I don't get any useful tips here )

Besides, I got my MBA in the States, but I currently reside in Russia...so I don't know how the whole Apple care thing works when you're not the country of purchase (in addition, there's only re:stores in Moscow, and not Apple stores)...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yea, I will do that if I don't get any useful tips here )

You could try an SMC reset.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Besides, I got my MBA in the States, but I currently reside in Russia...so I don't know how the whole Apple care thing works when you're not the country of purchase (in addition, there's only re:stores in Moscow, and not Apple stores)...

Yes...I understand that in some countries getting service from Apple can be more difficult. Maybe updating your Mac-Forums profile to reflect your location as "Russia" may help with replies.

If there really is a problem with the battery...there really isn't while lot that can be done...other than to replace it. Which is why I suggested contacting Apple...or whomever you need to contact in Russia for warranty/Applecare coverage.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try an SMC reset.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Yes...I understand that in some countries getting service from Apple can be more difficult. Maybe updating your Mac-Forums profile to reflect your location as "Russia" may help with replies.

If there really is a problem with the battery...there really isn't while lot that can be done...other than to replace it. Which is why I suggested contacting Apple...or whomever you need to contact in Russia for warranty/Applecare coverage.

- Nick

Thanx m8. Yea, I tried the SMC reset...though dunno if it worked. Things didn't change. Capacity still shows at 77%.

Gonna try do the whole charge to 100%, operate to discharge, then let it shut down at 0% and be powered off for 5-6 hours a couple of times to get the juices flowing in the battery...maybe it'll do it some good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.