OS 10.6..Screen Freezing

Reaction score
If I leave the computer unattended for a while or go into the sleep mode, the screen goes blank (black) and as soon as I try to reactivate it the "spinning beachball comes and that's it........anyone else with such a problem.
Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Try running disk utility and checking permissions.

OP
L
Reaction score
Try running disk utility and checking permissions.

Thanks, I did a bit more research and found this quoted as well as a possible solution.
The "sleep" function seems to work ok now. Will see how the rest works after having run the disk utility....thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Keep us posted.

OP
L
Reaction score
Keep us posted.

Unfortunately still the same problem....the sleep function seems to work fine but as soon as I leave the computer for a period of time the black screen comes, this time with the mouse pointer and as soon as I activate it...the revolving beach ball....:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One thing I ran into with 10.6 was that I had some services (daemons, in UNIX-speak) running in the background that were causing intermittent issues with spinning beachballs and very slow wake from sleep.

I wouldn't have caught it except that I opened Console (Applications => Utilities folder) and found a service opening and closing.

My recommendation to you would be to open Console and see if there's anything weird going on in the logs and report back.

OP
L
Reaction score
One thing I ran into with 10.6 was that I had some services (daemons, in UNIX-speak) running in the background that were causing intermittent issues with spinning beachballs and very slow wake from sleep.

I wouldn't have caught it except that I opened Console (Applications => Utilities folder) and found a service opening and closing.

My recommendation to you would be to open Console and see if there's anything weird going on in the logs and report back.

Probably a daft question but what is "daemons', because this came up after the installation of 10.6 as a request to install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably a daft question but what is "daemons', because this came up after the installation of 10.6 as a request to install.

Not at all.

Daemons are similar to "Services" in Windows. They are programs that run in the background and are invisible to the user. Usually they are run to support other software packages that need to have a hook into the OS in order to work properly, even though the program isn't actively running.

Daemon (computer software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
L
Reaction score
Strangely enough....no problem on my MacBookPro, that works fine after the installation of 10.6 and during that there was no request to install "daemons" ???
Unless I can resolve this I will have to "downgrade" as the computer is almost unusable in this condition....shame.:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strangely enough....no problem on my MacBookPro, that works fine after the installation of 10.6 and during that there was no request to install "daemons" ???
Unless I can resolve this I will have to "downgrade" as the computer is almost unusable in this condition....shame.:(

I would recommend making a backup of the machine and doing a clean install. Then, manually pull over all of the data from the backup. Install all of the apps one-by-one until you can find the offender.

I can almost guarantee you that you probably have an incompatible app that is playing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I can almost guarantee you that you probably have an incompatible app that is playing up.

This brings up a worthy question. Do you have a lot of third party apps installed ? Too many to list, or only a few ? Maybe if you listed which third party apps you have installed, others might be able to say whether or not they're running the same ones and with which machines and with what success (or lack thereof) etc.. ?

Doug

OP
L
Reaction score
This brings up a worthy question. Do you have a lot of third party apps installed ? Too many to list, or only a few ? Maybe if you listed which third party apps you have installed, others might be able to say whether or not they're running the same ones and with which machines and with what success (or lack thereof) etc.. ?

Doug

Ok thanks, I will try and go through what I have. Just checked through my iMac ( which also came up with the Daemons install question) and that is fine. It has much the same as I have on my MacPro desktop but I guess I have something installed that Snowy Leopard does not like!! What I don't understand though is that no incompatibility problems came up during the installation.

I have attached a file of installed applications if any have the time to look through.......thanks again guys.

View attachment Applications.pdf

T

todd51

I'm assuming that when you first installed Snow Leopard it was just the upgrade. I agree with what cwa107 said and try doing a clean install of Snow Leopard. This would mean booting from the disc, then going to Utilities in the menu bar and choosing Disk Utility, then erase the hard drive. When you install Snow Leopard then it will do a clean install.

OP
L
Reaction score

Thanks a lot guys for your inputs, much appreciated, especially for the "comprehensive" list of non and compatible software although I didn't find any obvious culprits so far.
The "daemons" thing I was a bit confused with was actually referring to Microsoft AU Daemon needing the installation of Rosetta...is this really necessary?
Thanks again.......

Just as a PS..managed to scotch tape over the problem for now by activating a screen saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
If you are the 'legal' owner of all of those third party apps (CS 2 and CS3 come to mind) then I would suggest you do a clean install on this machine and install each of those apps one by one (as suggested in the beginning of this thread) until you're able to weed out the culprit.

That's quite a list there ! On the compatibility list, anything under CS4 is known to have various problems, so you might try doing those first. Lightroom 2 also has some small glitches, but they didn't say it was to the extent of what you're machine is going through.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.