How do I open .exe and .pcx files?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still trying to learn all sorts of things.... Does anyone know how I can open .exe and .pcx files? It seems I don't have a default application to open these files. Where can I get one and what should I get? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hi,

Well, .exe files are Windows only executables and will not open in a Mac system without a special app like Crossover - your best option is to search for Mac alternatives for the Windows stuff you are trying to run. A lot of them have Mac versions if you are lucky.

As for .pcx - these are graphics files - an app like Gimp should be able to open and edit pictures in this format.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still trying to learn all sorts of things.... Does anyone know how I can open .exe and .pcx files? It seems I don't have a default application to open these files. Where can I get one and what should I get? I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Try VM Ware (or any virtual machine that'll run on a Mac) and install Windows in that VM. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you probably know by now, *.EXE is a Windows executable file. The other file you mention *.PCX is a graphics file which can be opened by the Windows "Paint" program included with older copies of Windows. (No longer included with Vista or Win 7.)

Regards.

Reaction score
As you probably know by now, *.EXE is a Windows executable file. The other file you mention *.PCX is a graphics file which can be opened by the Windows "Paint" program included with older copies of Windows. (No longer included with Vista or Win 7.)

Regards.

Actually Microsoft Paint is still included with Windows. They stuck on the ribbon-interface in Windows 7. But it is still there. I just don't know if it still opens .pcx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Really? Not included with my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium - at least not that I could find. Where did they put it? I looked in \windows and \system32

It used to be in \windows (at least that's where it was in XP).

Regards.

Reaction score
Really? Not included with my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium - at least not that I could find. Where did they put it? I looked in \windows and \system32

Regards.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium as well.

Look in All Programs | Accessories in the Start menu (or should I say Orb menu)...

C

chas_m

Just wanted to point out that some EXE programs are, you know, viruses. So don't just open any old exe, even if you do have Windows installed. You may be on a Mac now, but in dealing with anything to do with Windows, the same common-sense caution you'd use on a PC applies.

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that some EXE programs are, you know, viruses. So don't just open any old exe, even if you do have Windows installed. You may be on a Mac now, but in dealing with anything to do with Windows, the same common-sense caution you'd use on a PC applies.

Very good points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Regards.

Just checked \Windows\System32 and there it is, mspaint.exe

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked \Windows\System32 and there it is, mspaint.exe

Alright everyone.... I'm taking up a collection for a new pair of glasses. It seems the pair I use for computing aren't working right. ;)

Yeah, it's there. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks Kash.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.