Power cord on Macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, IPad 2 , IPhone 4
Just got my first Macbook last week and so far loving it!

Question is why the extra power cord? The white one with the foldaway plug and magnetic connector is more than adequate...why the extra thick one to tote along? The regular adapter cord seems plenty long and very convenient. I know it says it is grounded...but other than extreme added length, does anyone actually use/carry it?

Thanks
EricE

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The thicker one I keep at home, when I'm on the go I just carry the small one with me.

If for some reason I'm at school and I need to plug in and I'm kind of far from the outlet I'll bring the thicker one with me. Never has been an issue yet, where I have had to charge at school though.

It has great battery life, usually never dip past 50%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)

Question is why the extra power cord? The white one with the foldaway plug and magnetic connector is more than adequate...why the extra thick one to tote along? The regular adapter cord seems plenty long and very convenient. I know it says it is grounded...but other than extreme added length, does anyone actually use/carry it?

Thanks
EricE

You don't have to carry it around.
Sometimes it's easier having a standard plug. I take my Mac to several places where the socket has restricted space that wouldn't accomodate the transformer and plug on it's own so the extension is a must.

It's all about choice and practicality really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i leave it plugged in, and sitting on my desk.

so when i am home no outlet reach i just attach them on my desk.

wewt

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It's all about choice and practicality really.

exactly.

when i have the extension on, i can sit with my macbook anywhere in my living room. when i take it on the road, i just leave the extension at home - less to carry.

Eric, did you also notice that there are two little arms that pop out on the corners of the transformer block to wrap the thinner cable? i thought that was a really nice touch.

OP
Eric5964
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, IPad 2 , IPhone 4
Yes, the cord wrap is nice...

It seems that everything that they do is pretty well thought out...

EricE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Thanks
EricE

Yeah, the socket for my MacBook is under my sofa so it's really useful for me! I'm soooo glad it came with the long bit, the adaptor on it's own would drive me mad.

On the plus side I can take the long bit off when I'm out and about and don't need the extra length, which is an advantage over some laptop chargers when you are either long or short with no change of changing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I go to my mom's and my dad's house all the time, so I take everywhere I go. I have to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.