Let's talk audio file formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
What do you guys have your music library in on your computer, your iPod? AAC, Apple Lossless, MP3?

I've been using AAC, as it's the default file format in iTunes and I wasn't even aware you could choose until after I already imported all my music and put it on my iPod. ;)

I think AAC format sounds fantastic. I have, however, imported a few CD's in Apple Lossless and it does sound better. Not much, but better. I don't think it's worth the extra space you use up though. Is anyone importing in Apple Lossless, wav, or AIFF exclusively?

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
I tend to use Apple lossless format through choice - space isn't too much of an issue as I plumped for the 80Gb iPod. That's enough for the entire back catalogue of the Pet Shop Boys and tons of Doctor Who DVDs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have MP3 and ACC only.

OP
fiveightandten
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
I use LAME VBR encoding. http://blacktree.cocoaforge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5783

I have a large collection of FLAC files that I listen to using Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) but I don't import anything using iTunes Lossless or AIFF because if I really need to hear it the way it was recorded, I will listen to the CD
Interesting, thanks for the links. I hadn't seen that stuff.

I tend to use Apple lossless format through choice - space isn't too much of an issue as I plumped for the 80Gb iPod. That's enough for the entire back catalogue of the Pet Shop Boys and tons of Doctor Who DVDs!
Do you notice the load time on the iPod lengthening any due to the larger files? I have a 30GB video...which is only about 1/3rd full, but i've thought about importing some of my more frequently listened to CD's in Apple lossless for the iPod.

I have MP3 and ACC only.
Same here. I just tried some lossless importing the other day for the heck of it. Anytime I import something I generally use AAC encoding. It does sound pretty good, especially for the file sizes.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.