How do you recommend installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a week old Macbook with 1 gig of ram. I don't think I have anything running in the background. Do you recommend a fresh install, acrhive and install, or the simple upgrade? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I recommend the archive and install. Once you've made sure that everything runs properly, you can delete the archive folder and regain the HD space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
You could use Archive and Install method.

Reaction score
If it's so new and you haven't messed around with it, I'd go for the simple upgrade. Just back up everything first. I had no problems with a simple upgrade, but then I run a pretty tight Mac ship, keep things clean with maintenance and don't install any third-party stuff.

Simple upgrade.

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing as my mac is only a week old as well. I have all of my itunes and pics in the shared folder. Is it true that with an archive and install, shared files do not automatically get put back onto the new system?

Reaction score
Is it true that with an archive and install, shared files do not automatically get put back onto the new system?

I'm sure about that, but what I can say is that I was very careful about backing up (to firewire drive, iPod and .mac) and went for the upgrade instal as I really couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

It did.

The only issue I've had is that my Logitech mouse doesn't seem to work after the Mac's been to sleep, so I'm using my Mighty Mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
If it's so new and you haven't messed around with it, I'd go for the simple upgrade. Just back up everything first. I had no problems with a simple upgrade, but then I run a pretty tight Mac ship, keep things clean with maintenance and don't install any third-party stuff.

Simple upgrade.

I agree, I did on my macbook, and it worked great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
For some coming from a Windows background the easiest ( meaning stress free) method would be to do a clean install. Just backup everything. I backed up my contacts, iCal stuff, e-mails and keychain stuff onto a flash drive. And my iPhoto pics onto a DVD. Started from scratch and the install outside of running Time Machine, took about one hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.