Erase hard drive to new

Reaction score
I would like to erase my Powerbook G4 hard drive to the point that it would be like something I would buy off the shelf. I believe I am supposed to use Disk Utility to do so. However, the only choice I am finding is to "erase free space". How do I erase everything? Am I misinterpreting something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm guessing you're not booted from the System Discs. If that's the case, know that the OS won't let you format a disk that you're running it from.

OP
J
Reaction score
cwa107
Thanks for the quick reply. I am booting up from the HD, as the only disc I have is the install disc for OSX. I take it from your answer then, that I would not be able to clear my current HD to new standards, but only erase free space? I am selling the computer and would like to wipe out any data that is on it, and reinstall OSX (Leopard)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa107
Thanks for the quick reply. I am booting up from the HD, as the only disc I have is the install disc for OSX. I take it from your answer then, that I would not be able to clear my current HD to new standards, but only erase free space? I am selling the computer and would like to wipe out any data that is on it, and reinstall OSX (Leopard)

Pop the disc in the drive, turn the machine off. Then, turn it on and immediately press and hold the C key. The machine will boot from the disc. Click through the installer until you see the menu bar appear. When it does, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. You should now be able to erase the entire disk. If you're prepping it to sell, I would recommend using the "Zero out" option.

More info on the zero out option here:

Securely wipe your hard drive | Mac OS X | Mac 911 | Macworld

Reaction score
Pop the disc in the drive, turn the machine off. Then, turn it on and immediately press and hold the C key. The machine will boot from the disc. Click through the installer until you see the menu bar appear. When it does, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. You should now be able to erase the entire disk. If you're prepping it to sell, I would recommend using the "Zero out" option.

I heard this erases iLife...is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I heard this erases iLife...is that true?

Of course. It erases everything because you are wiping the drive clean, no OS or anything.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you for the help cwa107.

Thank you for the help. I believe what you described will work well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.