Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Well, I got my brand new mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro back from Tech Restore today. Cost was $200 for the work, plus $56 to FedEx it down to them, and $40 for them to ship it back - so basically $300 total.

They were very fast with the turn-around, and I don't see any "tool marks" or other defectsi introduced into the display or case. They also returned my original box to me, as requested.

As for the display itself - it's exactly what it is supposed to be. They replaced the stupid mirrored (glossy) display with a matte display and it looks great. It seems a bit more "yellow" than it should be, perhaps not as bright, but I adjusted for it somewhat by changing the display profile.

Overall, my initial impression is "this is great" - I'll post an update after I have used it for a few days and had some more time to see what I think.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Nice. I didn't realize you were sending it out. Good to hear another solid review about TechRestore, they seem to do good work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, I got my brand new mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro back from Tech Restore today. Cost was $200 for the work, plus $56 to FedEx it down to them, and $40 for them to ship it back - so basically $300 total.

They were very fast with the turn-around, and I don't see any "tool marks" or other defectsi introduced into the display or case. They also returned my original box to me, as requested.

As for the display itself - it's exactly what it is supposed to be. They replaced the stupid mirrored (glossy) display with a matte display and it looks great. It seems a bit more "yellow" than it should be, perhaps not as bright, but I adjusted for it somewhat by changing the display profile.

Overall, my initial impression is "this is great" - I'll post an update after I have used it for a few days and had some more time to see what I think.

Congratulations on getting it back...and being mostly pleased with the outcome. :)

I remember you mentioning that you were having the glossy display replaced with a matte display on your new 13" MBP (after being dissatisfied with the "floppy" display lid on the 15" MBP you initially purchased).

One question. The actual replacement cost & labor was about $200 (the rest was shipping). $200 for a 13" matte display (plus install) is almost what it would cost to have a broken display replaced. In this case your old glossy display was in perfect condition...and TechRestore should have given you some sort of discount if they kept that display. Otherwise...TechRestore basically got a perfect 13" glossy display panel for free...which I'm sure they will use in a future repair or sell as a replacement part to someone (which will be pure profit for them).

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
One question. The actual replacement cost & labor was about $200 (the rest was shipping). $200 for a 13" matte display (plus install) is almost what it would cost to have a broken display replaced. In this case your old glossy display was in perfect condition...and TechRestore should have given you some sort of discount if they kept that display. Otherwise...TechRestore basically got a perfect 13" glossy display panel for free...which I'm sure they will use in a future repair or sell as a replacement part to someone (which will be pure profit for them).
No, that's now how it works. The $200 price is if you send them a good display to begin with. They freely state the reason why that price is so low is because they keep your display to use in their repair work.

The good display I sent them was already a "sunk cost" - it didn't really cost me anything if them to keep it. One could argue that if it were sent back, I could sell it - but doing so would come at the expense of a higher service cost and it would be a wash anyway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No, that's now how it works. The $200 price is if you send them a good display to begin with. They freely state the reason why that price is so low is because they keep your display to use in their repair work.

The reason why I mentioned this is...Powerbookmedic.com will replace a broken or defective display (glossy) for a 13" MacBook Pro for $249 (shipping included). Let's assume that it's $50 extra for a matte display...bringing the total to $300.

AFAIK...this quote does not state that they get to keep (free) the old good glossy display (if someone was having the glossy display replaced with a matte display like you had done). Since in most cases...folks are having a broken or non-working display replaced...and don't want the broken part returned.

The good display I sent them was already a "sunk cost" - it didn't really cost me anything if them to keep it. One could argue that if it were sent back, I could sell it - but doing so would come at the expense of a higher service cost and it would be a wash anyway.

The old glossy display could have been shipped with the computer...so no additional shipping costs. Then the old "perfect" glossy display probably could have been sold on e-Bay for at least $50-$75...if not more.

But if TechRestore.com's policy was to keep the old working part...then the point is moot. But with Powerbookmedic.com...it's possible that the good glossy display could have been returned and sold. If this "netted" $75 bucks...this would have turned a $300 repair into $225.

Maybe not much cost savings or too much hassle for some folks...but for others...a definite avenue to explore. In any case...you're happy with the repair...and that's all that matters in this particular discussion.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
But if TechRestore.com's policy was to keep the old working part...then the point is moot. But with Powerbookmedic.com...it's possible that the good glossy display could have been returned and sold. If this "netted" $75 bucks...this would have turned a $300 repair into $225.
Does PBM offer a matte screen install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
What do they do to make it a matte finish and why would you want that over the glossy? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
One man's trash is another's treasure. The high glossy screen is one of the things I love about my Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have the gloss screen and I don't see myself in the reflection--only in the black strip around the screen. Does the matte screen give you a clearer picture?

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I've had some more time on this thing - including taking it on a brief business trip from Alaska to Georgia. I've had time to "readjust" to the lower resolution display (compared to the hires 15" and 17" MBPs I've been using as a temporary measure) and I'm ready to report.

Bottom line: I love it. It's everything I want in my notebook's display, and way better than the stupid mirrored display Apple puts on.

Yes, it's not as "saturated" with colour when watching movies and whatever, but so what? It beats the pants off looking at a reflection of myself.

Very satisfied with the results, and I like my MBP 13" with Techrestore's matte display installed WAY better than the MBP 15" with hires antiglare display that I returned to Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm glad you like it. The matte display is not for everyone as you probably already know. Most folks seem to like the high glossy colorful displays that Apple provides. Anyway, you're the one who has to be satisfied with it. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.