Free password manager download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM,Mac OS X 10.5.8
Does anyone know of a free password manager download/app that works well with mac. I have found several on apple's download page but they are all paid programs. Want something to organize and keep my passwords on my imac at home. I keep them on my blackberry, but would like another location to save them to as a back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use 1Password which I know isn't free, but honestly, it's a great program. Not only does it have an iPhone and iPad version, it works with almost all browsers, has an HTML portable version that you can keep on a thumb drive or even access via Dropbox if you're traveling or using another machine, etc.

Passwords IMHO are important, and I honestly don't know any free apps for organizing them that I'd trust.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And 1Password now has a beta our for Windows, which means I'll be able to move it to my HTPC.

I refused pay for it for the first couple of years on my Mac, but it is a great app.
During those first couple of years I just used the Keychain which you already have on your Mac. You can save Password items - I primarily used the Secure Note feature to save all my login, info that I provided to sites, software keys and lots of other stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And 1Password now has a beta our for Windows, which means I'll be able to move it to my HTPC.

I refused pay for it for the first couple of years on my Mac, but it is a great app.
During those first couple of years I just used the Keychain which you already have on your Mac. You can save Password items - I primarily used the Secure Note feature to save all my login, info that I provided to sites, software keys and lots of other stuff.

I used to use Keychain also, but I eventually wanted something more powerful and intuitive, especially as I needed to access passwords across multiple devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I finally broke down and bought 1password recently. I was looking for something cheaper, but really 1password is a really nice program. I have been really happy with it. The only complaint I have is that I waited so long. Its so nice just clicking the button and getting logged in.

I would recommend keeping a hard copy just in case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1Password is a life saver. Old guys like me have a hard time remembering all those passwords that we seem to accumulate. It's a real convenience. Worth every bit of the $39.95 registration fee.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.