Drive Question--Brand--WD vs. Fantom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Do these WD products have included software? The specifications do not indicate. I have been told not to use the software but read on some of them it is already preloaded.

WD My Passport for Mac 1TB USB 3.0 Mac Storage Model WDBLUZ0010BSL-NESN

WD My Book for Mac 2TB USB 3.0 External Storage Model WDBYCC0020HBK-NESN

I found the Fantom Drive GForce3 Pro GF3B1000UP and it does not have preloaded software. Any opinions?

I can't believe I am spending this much time on an external hard drive but I am determined to find one without software.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, it shouldn't come with software preloaded and if it does, you could always format the drive before you used it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't believe I am spending this much time on an external hard drive but I am determined to find one without software.

Why? If you do buy a drive that has software or is formatted for a PC, it's a simple matter to remove the software or if necessary to re-format the drive so it can be used on your Mac. When I buy a drive off the shelf at any store, I expect it to be formatted for a PC or to have some kind of proprietary backup software on it. The last two WD Passport drives I purchased were that way. It took all of 5 minutes to re-format them for my iMac and that also took care of the worthless software that was included. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And Fantom does not manufacture hard drives. The drive inside the enclosure could also be a WD. I am disinclined to purchase any enclosure that comes with a drive pre-installed from a manufacturer that does not disclose what drive is inside the case.

That determination is of no value in this case. As stated above, you just don't use the software.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Okay--I'll just buy the WD and reformat. I think I just read too much about the software and how the drives would not even boot unless their stuff was installed or something like that and it remained on your desktop even if you reformatted. I'm just making this way too difficult. I'm even wondering if I can open my Lacie and replace its hard drive. I better just give this up and order.

Why? If you do buy a drive that has software or is formatted for a PC, it's a simple matter to remove the software or if necessary to re-format the drive so it can be used on your Mac. When I buy a drive off the shelf at any store, I expect it to be formatted for a PC or to have some kind of proprietary backup software on it. The last two WD Passport drives I purchased were that way. It took all of 5 minutes to re-format them for my iMac and that also took care of the worthless software that was included. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Okay--I'll just buy the WD and reformat. I think I just read too much about the software and how the drives would not even boot unless their stuff was installed or something like that and it remained on your desktop even if you reformatted. I'm just making this way too difficult. I'm even wondering if I can open my Lacie and replace its hard drive. I better just give this up and order.

The problems you have read of are rather uncommon (and often poorly understood and even mis-characterized), though we do have a member who does have something going on along those lines and his Mac simply will not recognize the drive he has plugged in. As for the Lacie, yes, you likely could open it up and replace the drive. They don't make their own drives either.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thank all of you for your posts. I did google how to make your own hard drive and it seems very simple to me. I was worried some type of wiring was involved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.