Speck hard plastic case - Keeps Mac hot?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro that I bought the Speck case for but I am wondering if it was a bad idea. I was playing the demo for the X-Plane game when I noticed that the Mac was pretty hot - very hot. So I am wondering if the plastic case insulates the the Mac to much and prevents the aluminum case from doing its job to cool the Mac?

Anyone else with any experience along this line?

Reaction score
maybe it was hot cause you were playn a game,dunno. im going to get the speck case,so hope its not an issue. shouldnt think it is tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Well if you were an awesome fast machine and I covered YOU with a case and just left a breathing hole, would you get hot?

That's what I thought.

lol in all seriousness idk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
yes it will get hot and it scratches the MBP easy..sold mine

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I didn't have a problem with heat when I had mine, but I did find it kludgy - especially around the hinge, where it would occasionally catch on itself. It got so bad that the plastic actually cracked after some use.

I had the same problems with the Techshell case, so I wouldn't recommend either product.

I just picked up an Invisible Shield on eBay yesterday, so if you're interested, I'll let you know how well that works out when it arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Are you covering any vents with the case? This may be causing the issue.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Are you covering any vents with the case? This may be causing the issue.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that. If that is the case it's because of bad design. >_>"

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think anyone in their right mind would do that. If that is the case it's because of bad design. >_>"

The Speck case has ventilation cut outs over major heat sources. Although it will increase operating temperature slightly, it's not a cause for concern.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.4 GHz, 256 MB Video, 4 GB Ram, 250 Gig HD. 1TB Firewire E-HD, 22' HP Monitor.
I got the invisible shield for my MBP and I absoloutely love it. The problem I was having is that the desks at school are smaller than the bottom of my computer so it would hang off the side of the desk. If I shifted the computer at all the edge of the desk would scratch the bottom of my MacBook Pro. And luckily the invisibleSHIELD is easy to install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the invisible shield for my MBP and I absoloutely love it. The problem I was having is that the desks at school are smaller than the bottom of my computer so it would hang off the side of the desk. If I shifted the computer at all the edge of the desk would scratch the bottom of my MacBook Pro. And luckily the invisibleSHIELD is easy to install.

Well, mine just showed up - and although it was a bit tedious to install, it really is a great product. I just wish it was a little less expensive. I can't help but feel ripped off since it really is nothing more than an adhesive backed cellophane film that is cut to fit the different sides of your product.

Of course, now that it's on, I think it's worth it. How long did it take for your micro bubbles to dry out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.