I got a new iPOD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
After agonising for about 2 ours in the SoHo Apple store in NY, I finally got a new iPOD. I chose the iPOD Classic.

I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.

I very nearly got the touch, but in the end battery life, capacity and sanity got the better of me and I got the 80gig black classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Cool! Post pics if you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Congrats Zoolook! I'd be interessted in a review. I'm sure others would be also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away ;P

Congrats on your purchase!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Well I'll put my 2¢ in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.

Of course we do ...I'd love to read what you think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'll put my 2¢ in, since I just picked up an 80g classic (to replace my poor 40g 4G non-photo iPod that sat overnight on top of my car -- oddly enough, the iPod's click wheel really doesn't like all that dew).

While I'm too pooped to write a proper review, I will say that it is much slower than my old iPod. The old one was soooo responsive--the menus moved when I wanted them, and stopped when I stopped. The new interface sometimes takes a half-second or so to respond, and it's a bit frustrating to be honest. However, the split-screen menu is pretty slick looking. When on the main menu, you see album art randomly scrolling around on the side of the menu. When on submenus, you see information related to the item you're hovering over (number of podcasts when you hover over the podcast item, number of TV shows, free space when hovering over settings).

In any case, I think I'll get used to the slower response. I've got a crappy Insignia 4GB flash player (which I use exclusively for Rhapsody-To-Go) that has the most irritating interface I've ever seen. Not only is it clunky, but when I stop moving the wheel, it keeps on going. The iPod is infinitely more useable than that piece of suckiness...

That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
That was actually a problem with the first generation iPods with video (i.e. 5G iPod) but it was ironed out with the first firmware update that quickly followed launch. So judging by experience, you should be chugging along at full speed in no time. :D
That was my thought as well when I noticed that I'm currently using v1.0 of the firmware. My hope was that they rushed these out to meet last week's deadline, and that 1.1 will be out in the next few weeks. Thanks for confirming my hope :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm going to write a review comparing it to my 4 year old 3G iPOD, i'll post it on this site if anyone cares.

For SURE post the review. Will be very interesting to a lot of users here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'm looking at getting an 80Gb classic, so I'd be interested in a review too.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure you would have bought the Touch had it been available for purchase right away ;P

Congrats on your purchase!!

I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I was told I could have one today by the sales person, but $399 for the 16 gig just wasn't going to fly.
Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?

Reaction score
I'm interested in a review, I ordered a nano and a classic on Thursday and should get them tomorrow.

I was going to get the touch but will wait for next up date of the touch to see if they increase the memory

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really? So they had some Touches sitting in the back, huh?

No that was Saturday and by 'today' I meant 'today, Monday', so I assume they were expecting another shipment this week.

The 'gotta have one now' effect definately played a part, but all things being equal I'm glad I got the classic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ipod Touch is available today you mean?????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't make any sense. The Touch isn't slated for release till the 28th

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't make any sense. The Touch isn't slated for release till the 28th

LOL, that's true. :eek: I didn't even think of that, and the online store said available for pre-order. I must of mis-heard, it was crazy in there. I could have sworn she said 'next Monday'.

I am going back today to get a nice case (you don't get one in the box, not even a little sock) and I'll ask again.

I feel a bit of an idiot actually, makes my posts look a little dodgy... :Oops:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I feel a bit of an idiot actually, makes my posts look a little dodgy... :Oops:

Hey I did the same thing. People talking about it like it's out and I simply forgot. Do not feel bad. It happens. Let us know what you find out.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I popped into the SoHo store on the way home tonight for a case (I didn't see any I like) and asked when it was out, and was told Sept 28th. I told the guy that I was told it was out Monday and he just gave me a funny look. :Oops:

Oh and my MacBook screen just started to flicker, only 4 weeks after getting it fixed... :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.