Formatting Hard Drive. Help me out!

Reaction score
I have a 2006+ Macbook. I got a new 250gb HD for it. Installed it, and now I'm having the hardest time trying to format this thing.

Here's what's going on:

- I reset the PRAM. I put in the install disc.
- I turned the computer off, waited a few seconds.
- Power it back up holding "option".
- I got an icon saying "MAC OSx Install DVD" I clicked it.
- Got the apple screen for a few and then desktop.
- Got prompted with message saying "Cannot install Mac OSX" clicked "OK".
- Went to "utilities" and selected "disc utility".
- Went to Erase, selected Mac OSX Extended (Journaled), named it, and hit erase. It showed up on the right.
- I selected it, hit "Verify Disc" it came back OK.
- I then turned off the computer, turned it back on holding "C" and it automatically ejected the install disc.
-I put it back in, shut it down, and booted back up holding "option" and again it ejected the disc.

WHAT am I missing / doing wrong here!!!! Some on help me out. I've searched and searched.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what you're doing wrong but try this:

Boot from your install DVD as before. Select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu.

Highlight your new hard drive on the left side. Click on the line that shows the disk capacity (250 GB).

Click erase at the top of the screen then select the Mac Extended Journaled option. Change the name of the drive at the same time to MacIntosh HD.

Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. It may take several minutes for the format to complete.

(I think you were missing this last set of steps - at least that's what I gather from your post.)

OP
V
Reaction score
^^

I can't boot from the DVD. I put it in, turn on computer, hold option and it ejects it. Every time.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What kind of brand of drive is this drive?

Have you tried creating a single partition with a new name?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
^^

I can't boot from the DVD. I put it in, turn on computer, hold option and it ejects it. Every time.

Thoughts?

From your first post, it appeared that you were in fact booting from your install DVD at first. What kind of install DVD is it? It has to be specific for your machine or a retail version. You can not for example use an install DVD for an iMac in your MacBook. The retail versions (black), however, will work for both.

OP
V
Reaction score
From your first post, it appeared that you were in fact booting from your install DVD at first. What kind of install DVD is it? It has to be specific for your machine or a retail version. You can not for example use an install DVD for an iMac in your MacBook. The retail versions (black), however, will work for both.

Ok. So as of recently this has happened...

I've erased the drive (zero erase) and partioned it with Apple Partioning Map. After 45 min of wait it finished. Verified OK. I then existed Disk Utility... and from the drop down menu select Start Up Disk... Select Mac OSX and hit restart...

Once again... when turning the computer on and holding "option" it ejects my disk...

If it let it sit for a few and try again sometimes it goes back to the desktop... Usually says that Mac OSX cannot be installed on this computer.

What's up?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You still haven't told us what type of disc it is you're using.

Can't use Apple Partition Map on a 2006 "Intel" MacBook. It needs to be GUID.

OP
V
Reaction score
My appologies, I am using a Macbook MAC OSX Install DVD (Mac OS Version 10.5.5)

I have gone back and created a new partition called Macintosh HD and used GUID.

All of the directions I've found have said that after everything is said and done with partitioning wise, you can quit Disk Utility and continue with the install.

My problem is that after I quit Disk Utility nothing happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, this is a grey OS X disc from another Mac? It will not install in your '06 MacBook. Those discs are system specific.

You will need either your original set of discs or a "black" retail disc of Leopard or go purchase the Snow Leopard disc for $30.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, it's grey.

So would any leopard or snow leopard CD work? It was my girlfriends old computer. She doesn't have the disk anymore.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, it's grey.

So would any leopard or snow leopard CD work? It was my girlfriends old computer. She doesn't have the disk anymore.

Thanks!

No, you need a retail copy. If you prefer, you can pick up Snow Leopard from Apple for $30 and that's a full version, not a system disc like the originals you're lacking.

OP
V
Reaction score
No, you need a retail copy. If you prefer, you can pick up Snow Leopard from Apple for $30 and that's a full version, not a system disc like the originals you're lacking.

Right that's what I'm saying. So a retail leopard or better yet, snow leopard would do?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.