networking my new mac and my old xp machine

Reaction score
hi there everyone, recently picked up a macbook and after getting over the first steep learning curve, adjusting to keyboard shortcuts etc I have to say I'm really liking my new machine :)

I'm trying to set up sharing so I can transfer some files accross from my older pc.
Normally I would just follow one of the many online guides there are for this process - such as this one

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

however I fall down on the first hurdle - it says to go to

(Applications > Utilities > Directory Access)

well I'm in (Applications > Utilities) and guess what I don't have 'Directory Access' as an option

I have 'Directory' and 'Directory Utility', neither of which is the right one (I think) - can someone please point me in the right direction or tell me where I'm going wrong?

many thanks if you can help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
If you just want to share files try a program called folder share from Microsoft.

They do a version for Mac and PC.

I use it and it does as it says, Also it's free.

Reaction score
Those guides are kind of dated and from my experience they are not accurate anymore. I have connected drives between OS X and Windows without them being in the same workgroup, OS X seems to ignore the workgroup anyway.

Have you ever mapped network drives between Windows PCs before? In OS X it is similar. As long as both machines are on the network, in Finder you can click "Go" -> "Connect to Server" and then for the connection put smb://servername/sharename (servername is the name of the Windows PC, sharename is the share on that PC). You can also map to administrative shares like C$ and that sort of thing. OS X will ask for credentials and then drop an icon on the desktop for that share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I couldn't get that to work on Leopard (10.5), it worked with Tiger (10.4) tho. I tried with 10.5.1, and while I did try it with 10.5.2, I didn't give it long before I quit trying.

I am going to give that FolderShare at try. It's here https://www.foldershare.com/clientdownload.aspx if you are looking for it. Actually I think Dropbox might better suit my needs atm. http://gigaom.com/2008/03/17/foldershare-vs-dropbox/
Those guides are kind of dated and from my experience they are not accurate anymore. I have connected drives between OS X and Windows without them being in the same workgroup, OS X seems to ignore the workgroup anyway.

Have you ever mapped network drives between Windows PCs before? In OS X it is similar. As long as both machines are on the network, in Finder you can click "Go" -> "Connect to Server" and then for the connection put smb://servername/sharename (servername is the name of the Windows PC, sharename is the share on that PC). You can also map to administrative shares like C$ and that sort of thing. OS X will ask for credentials and then drop an icon on the desktop for that share.

Reaction score
That's odd, cuz I never had a problem with it. I do know Vista is not as agreeable on sharing to non-Windows, but XP should be fine.

Would not connecting the two machines via USB also be an option? Or firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I imagine things would be much easier with a router, but I just have the ethernet connection wire. I never tried with usb, but I've never heard of it either. I assumed my problems had more to do with needing the .2 update but as I said I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out after the update. I have tried but between following instructs that don't quite fit (similar to what drunken mentions), ones that explain but with a router, some how read like they are missing steps (I guess they assume proficiency with mac or XP?) or just plain assume one thing or another, I just got way too frustrated.
That's odd, cuz I never had a problem with it. I do know Vista is not as agreeable on sharing to non-Windows, but XP should be fine.

Would not connecting the two machines via USB also be an option? Or firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I had a problem with Leopard not see a previously installed dell laptop on my network.
I found the fault in the Network preference pane under the WINS pane (Advanced settings)

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

You have to chose the right workgroup from the drop down pane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm I recall someone telling me that also (when I was trying with 10.5.1) and and altho it didn't work then, it's possible I need to give it all a more focused try again hehe I guess it's time for me to give it another try :D Thanks
I had a problem with Leopard not see a previously installed dell laptop on my network.
I found the fault in the Network preference pane under the WINS pane (Advanced settings)

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

You have to chose the right workgroup from the drop down pane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You can spend a long time fiddling with file sharing and network settings, and this may be worthwhile if you think you will be regularly swapping files back and forth between the two machines. However, if this is a one time event, or one of a very small number of times you will want to do this, why not just use a USB memory stick or an external hard drive? This would be the simplest and the fastest I would bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.