How the iPhone could become much better and increase Mac sales

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've been thinking a bit about the iPhone and its potential, and the more I think of it, the more I'm kind of annoyed at it's limitations. So, I was thinking of how the iPhone experience could be improved and merged with the Mac experience.

First of all, they would need to open up its bluetooth capability to allow wireless syncing. That's misstep is about as annoying and ridiculous as Microsoft putting wifi on the Zune, but not making it capable of connecting to the internet. With that opened up, I would want to see my iPhone as more of an extension of my Mac.

Basically, what I want to happen is have my iPhone and Mac talk to each other and keep up to date on what I'm doing. I don't know how many times I've been looking at a web page or listening to music on the go and want to continue when I get home, but I need to type in the website and navigate to where I was, or hunt down the song I was listening to and start it over. If the Mac and iPhone could communicate my application activity, it would enable me to pick up on my Iphone right where I left off on my Mac, and vice versa. Wouldn't that be great? Of course, this would also include other functions like video playback and even other apps as they become available like viewing documents. What would be even cooler is if I could tell my iPhone in advance to start these activities on my Mac at home so they're up and running when I walk in the door.

Anyway, I'm sure many people have thought of this before. Even I can't take credit. A short, goofy fella by the name of Bill Gates did a presentation on this very idea a few years ago, but now there's finally a device capable of what he was talking about. Maybe there's already a means of doing this, and if anyone knows, please tell me. So, that's my dream of iPhone/MAc integration. If anyone else has interesting ideas to expand the iPhone's capabilities, I'd like to hear it.

Reaction score
from what I've heard (only heard), I think it's on it's way. I heard that you can actually log into your mac from the iphone and look through your camera. Almost like looking at a security camera from the other side of the mac. I think v2 iphone is going to be awesome, and with the new (alleged) capabilites, and software vendors support, there's no telling what it could do.

Reaction score
I am counting off the days until I can switch to iPhone (current contract) but it occurred to me this weekend: I use my Palm Centro with eReader (I don't think iPhone has this does it?), and with iSilo (use it for the scriptures - don't think iPhone has this either does it?) I hope they have these two capabilities added by the time my contract runs out - would hate to give them up (if, in fact, they do not work with iPhone already).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm not following with the picking up where you left off part. Bookmarks and playlists are synced with your Mac as soon as you plug in your iPhone, so you should be able to pick off without missing a step.

As for your Bluetooth syncing suggestion, I would disagree. Bluetooth is far too slow and power consuming for it to be a viable syncing option. However, syncing over Wi-Fi would be a great feature to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I am counting off the days until I can switch to iPhone (current contract) but it occurred to me this weekend: I use my Palm Centro with eReader (I don't think iPhone has this does it?), and with iSilo (use it for the scriptures - don't think iPhone has this either does it?) I hope they have these two capabilities added by the time my contract runs out - would hate to give them up (if, in fact, they do not work with iPhone already).

currently there is book.app that allows you to load scriptures and books.... but it doesn't have near the capabilities and settings like eReader or iSilo have... though it's not bad... BUT... I'm sure the 3rd party developers will have this done very quickly, if not already, after the iPhone v2 is released.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Here's an example of what I mean. Say you're reading this thread and listening to your favorite album, but you have to head off to work or class. You pick up your iPhone and when you open iTunes it starts playing the song you were listening to right where you left off. And when you open safari it opens to the exact thread you were reading, maybe even right down to the place on the page you were viewing. This way you don't have to bother navigating to the things you were already doing. Then when you get to work (if you're lucky enough to have a Mac there) it can pick up again where your iPhone left off.

It's kind of a small thing, but it would be very cool. And Apple is all about small, but powerful and impressive features. And as certain programs are built for the iPhone, this concept can be expended to other productive applications. Like reading a PDF that you need to review for an appointment you're on your way to, or continue writing an email you were already in the middle of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
I like the idea of the iphone and my macs (2) to wireless sync when ever in range. I like coming in from work and syncing my BB but I hate having to plug it in and push a button (how 1995).

I agree with fleurya, being able to start a task on the computer and finish it while waiting for a client would be **** nice. Actually, why stop at wifi, with the iphone it could always be in sync and you could have access to all of your files.

Okay for the record the **** is not a swear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I like the remote isight view idea!!! But in reverse it'd be cool too! Leave the iphone so you could see its cam from the mac!!! Imagine what you could do with that???!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the remote isight view idea!!! But in reverse it'd be cool too! Leave the iphone so you could see its cam from the mac!!! Imagine what you could do with that???!!!

I can imagine someone stealing your iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I like the idea. A friend of mine at work has a PS3 and a PSP. His PS3 will recognize when he comes home after being away with the PSP and the two I guess "talk" and update each other.
A cool seamless integration would be nice. There are times where I want pick up right where I left off on my Mac because the small iPhone screen is on my last nerves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I meant in you own home for example, or see where the gf really is... lol

OMG that is so wrong. (But you know we would all do it :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Yes, but it maybe useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.