Is this possible with boot camp?

Reaction score
I have a 10gb partition on my main drive already and because it's already partitioned I can't use the boot camp installer. Is it possible to just assign this 10 gb partition to boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Josh,

You have to use the Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows, so if it won't accept that partition, just erase it and start over with the Assistant. Print and read the pdf file called Installation & Setup Guide on the first page of the Assistant. It's 25 pages long and really necessary to follow carefully to get a successful installation of Windows. Go to Applications>Utilities and find the Boot Camp Assistant.app and there's your Guide.

Good luck, Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't want to reinstall os x just for bootcamp, surerly there's another way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
No you can use the Boot Camp Assistant to restore the whole hard drive to 1 OS X partition without affecting your OS X installation. Then if you want a different sized partition for windows, you go into the Boot Camp Assistant and select the amount of HD space you want for windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to reinstall os x just for bootcamp, surerly there's another way?

Josh,

I wasn't suggesting that you re-install OS X, sorry if I wasn't clear. You can go to Disk Utility and select the Windows partition and just delete it there, then start over with the Boot Camp Assistant. Erasing the Windows partition won't delete Boot Camp...

But Rich's solution is better, so try it...

Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah sorry, how do I do that though as when I start the bootcamp assistant I get this:
5446fe9f42cd9bfeca37f80187f6375d.png

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/5446fe9f42cd9bfeca37f80187f6375d.png

The other partition I have on the hard drive is NOT a boot camp partition. I created it when installing os x.
Edit: I've just found out leopard allows me to repartition drives without reformatting! Only took me 9 months to find that out :p

Edit2: Now I'm getting this error: http://www.grabup.com/uploads/0b3a479cc44db1123de596ee4f8bdf46.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Josh,

Your last error tells me that you have some files scattered over your hard drive (fragmented files). Do what the dialog tells you to do. As follows: Backup your entire OS X partition on an external drive using a bootable backup program like SuperDuper. Then you can erase your entire internal hard drive and re-format it - you now have a clean, formatted hard drive. Now restore the backup to your hard drive. That will eliminate those fragmented files that can't be moved (they're on your backup and will be un-fragmented when the restore takes place). After the restore you'll end up with a single OS X partition on your hard drive (no fragmented files now) and then you can start all over again with Boot Camp. Whew... Notice, I said the same thing the dialog box said, but it took me longer :)

Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
After some searching I've found out that defragmenting my hard drive using iDefrag would give me the same result. So i'll try that first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.