sorry for being ignorant but could someone tell me what DARWIN is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.1, Mac OS X, Ver. 10.6.7, Processor 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, Memory 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I have seen a couple posts about DARWIN but I havent quit figured out what it is or where I can get it if I want it.

so if someone could enlighten me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
It's what powers Macintosh

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.1, Mac OS X, Ver. 10.6.7, Processor 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, Memory 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
ok but how do I know if I have this? or do I have this? and im not sure but did it say it can run any program file? such as any .exe?

I read the whole thing but it was very confusing. Why would you need this if I dont have it?

M

MacHeadCase

Darwin is mostly used by software developers. It is part of Mac OS X but it runs in the background and a simple user like you and I don't really need it. Are you asking this question because you want to run .exe files?

Reaction score
Macs are amazing to say the least. On the top is this awesome GUI and the intuitive nature of how things operate. Its so much fun just dipping your toes in the water or smelling the ripe apple ... but then underneath the bonnet lies a gloriously powerful engine ... V6, V8 or V12, whatever you like, but you need to get your hands dirty if you're going in there...

I am still smelling the ripeness of the Apple so to me Darwin is just that chappie who came here to Tassie centuries ago and then moved on to the Galapagos or was it the other way around ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Darwin powers OSX, however I think you are looking for a program called Darwine.. which allows you to run simple .exe apps in osx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok but how do I know if I have this? or do I have this? and im not sure but did it say it can run any program file? such as any .exe?

I read the whole thing but it was very confusing. Why would you need this if I dont have it?

Everyone has it. It's what powers Mac OS X. It lies deep underneath all the iCandy™. You use disk image files, and you pretty much drag the app to your Apps folder. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Darwin powers OSX, however I think you are looking for a program called Darwine.. which allows you to run simple .exe apps in osx.

AHAH! Well Darwine is not the same thing at all. Darwin is the core of Mac OS X while Darwine is an emulator but not really (or so people say!) to run certain Windows programs on a Mac. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AHAH! Well Darwine is not the same thing at all. Darwin is the core of Mac OS X while Darwine is an emulator but not really (or so people say!) to run certain Windows programs on a Mac. :girl:

indeed, but i figured since his question included .exe files that was his goal and darwine gets its name from running in osx which is powered by darwin..

M

MacHeadCase

indeed, but i figured since his question included .exe files that was his goal and darwine gets its name from running in osx which is powered by darwin..
Yeah exactly. I asked why BernaskiBLAZE mentioned .exe files because to me in this context (Darwin) it sounded strange and not really belonging together.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I asked because I kept seeing thing around and yes I want to run some EXE files on this computer right now I am using a progrm called crossover but is this DARWINE better?

and thanx for the clarification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why don't you just use boot camp if you want to use Windows? Or use Paralells... :headphone

:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
because crossover is cheaper then windows..

Cross-over imo is better then darwine, although it is still in development.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im not sure which program to use. I dont want to pay anything for a program I could probably find for free. A windows disk is no problem to get my hands on. I got some computer I scrapped whch had disk with em.

Croosover is just a trial prgram right now so it wont last long I need to find something similiar but I want it to run faster. And sometime I have to click on thing multiple time before it works.

Also how do I right click on object in the program since I only have one mouse button. Well I have a mighty mouse but I dont know how to set it up for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.