Loose Memory Slot MacBook Pro 2011

Reaction score
My 2011 MacBook Pro has a loose memory slot which causes the machine to freeze and beep. I removed the memory from one slot and it seems to work. I know Mac recommends that you keep the memory slots even, but can I put a 4GB in one slot and zero in the other? Can I use an 8GB?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
2011 MacBook Pros can have up to 16gig of ram (2 x 8gig). So I would say yes...you should be able to put up to 8gig in one slot.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My 2011 MacBook Pro has a loose memory slot which causes the machine to freeze and beep. I removed the memory from one slot and it seems to work. I know Mac recommends that you keep the memory slots even, but can I put a 4GB in one slot and zero in the other? Can I use an 8GB?

This problem is more common than what we have been aware of in the past. There are several good threads in the Apple Community Forums regarding the loose memory slot problem. Do some Googling over there to locate them.

Basically, the cure is to take your MacBook Pro apart and gain access to the adjuster screws on the memory slots from the backside of the logic board. Not an easy task but it can be done. The ifixit web site has instructions on how to remove the logic board.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.