1 GB to 4 GB Macbook Upgrade Problem

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently sought to upgrade my late 2008 2.1 GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook from 1 GB of memory to 4 GB. I'm using 2 new 2GB RAMS from Best Buy (PNY DDR2). Installed them...Macbook wont boot up (light turns on, black screen, sound doesn't occur/nothing happens). However, keeping one of the old 512 MB rams in and one of the new 2 GB rams in will work fine with total memory equalling 2.5 GB and the computer is quite faster...just have the two new ones in wont work. But, I know this Macbook is capable of 4GB total.

I did a little research and found other people having similar problems with PNY ram, but really didn't find any definitive answer. Should I return the RAM and try a different brand?

Also, for the time being, if I keep one of the new 2 GB PNY ram chips in along with one of the old 512 MB chips, should this cause my macbook any problems? (mismatched ram chips)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
In a Mac OWC or Crucial is a guaranteed work as long as you get the right ones for the model you have.

OP
L
Reaction score
In a Mac OWC or Crucial is a guaranteed work as long as you get the right ones for the model you have.

I mean, it's working fine for now with the mismatched ram chips. I just want to make sure it wont cause any problems in the future if I keep it this way (crashes, os x updates, firmware updates, etc). Thanks :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recently sought to upgrade my late 2008 2.1 GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook from 1 GB of memory to 4 GB.

If it's a 2008 model 2.1 GHz, it's a Core 2 Duo and should have come stock with 1 GB of memory. (2 x 512 MB) According to Mactracker you can put up to 6 GB in that machine.

PNY modules are not up to par for Mac machines. Stay away from them. Return them to Best Buy and instead order modules from either Crucial or OWC.

OP
L
Reaction score
If it's a 2008 model 2.1 GHz, it's a Core 2 Duo and should have come stock with 1 GB of memory. (2 x 512 MB) According to Mactracker you can put up to 6 GB in that machine.

PNY modules are not up to par for Mac machines. Stay away from them. Return them to Best Buy and instead order modules from either Crucial or OWC.

Thanks! Looks like i'll be returning these to Best Buy.

The guy from Geek Squad originally told me my model mac would only handle up to 2 GB memory, which I knew wasn't true (late 08 model).

However, i've read of people having this same problem with ram from Kingston.

OP
L
Reaction score
should the two 2GB rams look different? I bought 2 PNY's from Best Buy. Upon further inspection, one of the RAMS has the PNY logo on it with a tag that reads, "2GB, DD2 SODIM, J..." while the other appears to have an S logo on it, is shaped a bit differently and has a tag that reads "2GB, DDR2, SODIMM, I...both fit in the laptop but fail to work appropriately together. Perhaps Best Buy sold me the wrong brand that was repackaged as PNY (the one with the S logo on it?). Hope that makes sense..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well.... actually both modules are basically the same, just different labeling. However, I don't trust anything that Best Buy sells for memory, even for my PCs. Return it and buy from a reliable seller as I recommended above.

OP
L
Reaction score
Well.... actually both modules are basically the same, just different labeling. However, I don't trust anything that Best Buy sells for memory, even for my PCs. Return it and buy from a reliable seller as I recommended above.

K, ordered new 4GB ram through Crucial. Much more affordable anyhow. Will be returning what I got through Best Buy. Thanks for your help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.