How's wireless networking in the new OS

Reaction score
Last Xmas we bought our daughter a MacBook. After some initial problems, which eventually Apple set right, it has performed well except for wireless networking. There are long time outs, massive packet loss, poor ping results.

The Macbook was intended for school but she hasn't been able to use it there because the disappointing wireless connectivity issue.

I have exhausted all suggested fixes here and elsewhere and Apple support's suggestions haven't worked either.

I'm pretty much convinced the problem is MacBook because other netbooks etc do not have problems connecting to our home network and my daughter's fellow students (none use Apple PCs) have no issues connecting to the school network.

Essentially, wireless connectivity (n and g) is hit and miss at best, miss mostly.

The many posts on the 'net about this problem suggest that my daughter's MacBook isn't the only one that suffers.

So, I was wondering before spending the money, has the new Snow Leopard OS addressed this issue?

NB: I selected 10.5 as the OS version she is using. However, I can't be certain except that she is using whatever the release was last December.

Thanks

T

todd51

Has she doen any Software Updates? The latest release of Leopard is 10.5.8. You can check this by clicking on the Apple in the upper-left corner and clicking About This Mac. If 10.5.8 is not the latest OS version, click on the Apple logo again in the upper-left corner of the screen and choose Software Update.

You will obviously need to get an ethernet connection for this if her wireless is dropping out every once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
And yes, her MB has 10.5. Mine came with 10.5.2 at the end of last August.

As for the wireless problem, I didn't ever really have one, so I wouldn't know if SL would fix it. But the new features are pretty nice....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And did u try setting up a Location for her school complete with Primary and Secondary DNS numbers for the schools ISP - that can make a big difference;
here is mine;

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

OP
G
Reaction score
And did u try setting up a Location for her school complete with Primary and Secondary DNS numbers for the schools ISP - that can make a big difference;
here is mine;

yes, and more. The IT guys at the school reckon there's something wrong with wireless n networking on the MacBooks. And again, the other kids in her class mostly have eeepc netbooks. None have issues maintaining a connection in the classrooms and library.

And it's the same in our house, which is routed from a Belkin "N+" router. My office HP notebook and my wife's eeepc connect and stay connected no fuss.

I should point out the MacBook connects OK. It's the quality, or lack of quality, of the connection and the terrible ping times that are the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
You will obviously need to get an ethernet connection for this if her wireless is dropping out every once in a while.

You're kidding, right? I mean, in an environment where $500 eeepc netbooks have no difficulties to enable and sustain a wireless connection the MacBook fails and so it's the IT department's fault?

BTW, my daughter gets a bit of a "ribbing" from her schoolmates who reckon it's a real hoot that the eeepc is a more dependable unit than the Macbook.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
@GuiGuy
This is the white MacBook right? We got a white MB for my sister maybe 6-9months ago and she has the same problem and I can't seem to solve it ... so yes, I'm inclined to a faulty Wifi, maybe even as far as hardware, so I'm hoping I'll get her to go to the apple store and try to persue the problem under warranty ...

so if any1 could comment if SL improves connectivity as they suggest on these white MBs I would appreciate the input aswwell ...

as for a solution, the only thing I have found usefull s to rest the connection and hope for the best

also I havn't had any problems with my aluminium MacBook Pro nor an older version of the MBP

OP
G
Reaction score
@GuiGuy
This is the white MacBook right?

No, it's the aluminum shell.

We got a white MB for my sister maybe 6-9months ago and she has the same problem and I can't seem to solve it ... so yes, I'm inclined to a faulty Wifi,

We've had confirmation from Apple that the hardware is OK.

We've also noted that the problem is at its worst when other PCs are connected to the wireless network.

As I stated at the outset, every possible solution including clutching at straws has been exhausted. And it does seem to me that if Apple assures us the PC is fine and if the thing doesn't work where every other computer does, the OS or network drivers must be the primary suspects.

Incidentally, if we plug a USB wireless network adapter (an el cheapo TP "N") into the Macbook it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
Incidentally, if we plug a USB wireless network adapter (an el cheapo TP "N") into the Macbook it works great.

To me, that pretty much narrows it down to either a bad Airport card or bad set of drivers. Try the following (Airport Client Update 2009-001):

AirPort Client Update 2009-001

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.