• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Want an iphone through  and not AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I can't imagine the billions it would cost Apple to deploy a nationwide mobile broadband network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Wow. I think that second link there is missing the point. I don't think Apple wants to create it's own wireless network or control the whole "experience" of service for the phone portion, I think it would just make sense for them to sell the phone directly and let the person decide the carrier. Probably why they have been supposedly working on CDMA and a "Verizon iPhone". They would be open to a much larger market if they actually didn't pick any sides and just sold the phone that would work with whatever provider the customer wanted. This would be the smart thing to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Wow. I think that second link there is missing the point. I don't think Apple wants to create it's own wireless network or control the whole "experience" of service for the phone portion, I think it would just make sense for them to sell the phone directly and let the person decide the carrier. Probably why they have been supposedly working on CDMA and a "Verizon iPhone". They would be open to a much larger market if they actually didn't pick any sides and just sold the phone that would work with whatever provider the customer wanted. This would be the smart thing to do.

what you said!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Or maybe it has nothing to do with them wanting to run their own network, but rather just want to be able to have an iPhone that's manufactured to work on any network so they don't have to build and package the phone for each individual network in the world.

Imagine the cost savings to Apple if they could do that.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it would just make sense for them to sell the phone directly and let the person decide the carrier.

Well that is exactly what is happening in every country around the world apart from the US. Here in Australia for example you can get the iphone subsidised on at least 3 mobile carriers I know of or you can buy it fully unlocked direct from Apple.

I know there are exclusivity deals and laws preventing this happening in the US. But I feel this is really what needs to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz Core i5 4GB 1066Mhz 320GB 5400-rpm
I realize most people have probably heard this by now, but for those who haven't;

Verizon announced that it will be offering the i Phone in early 2011 !!!

I can tell you that I will be at the Verizon store that day and I will probably run over my Droid on the way out of the parking lot. As much as I love Apple products I refuse to use At&t , their service is TERRIBLE around here and most people in the Northeast have Verizon and it works almost everywhere , although it is still 3G , that is also supposed to change in the beginning of 2011.

I will record the jig I do when I get my iPhone, maybe I'll even post it...

Reaction score
I realize most people have probably heard this by now, but for those who haven't;

I can tell you that I will be at the Verizon store that day and I will probably run over my Droid on the way out of the parking lot. As much as I love Apple products I refuse to use At&t , their service is TERRIBLE around here and most people in the Northeast have Verizon and it works almost everywhere , although it is still 3G , that is also supposed to change in the beginning of 2011.

I will record the jig I do when I get my iPhone, maybe I'll even post it...

Before you declare the sky is falling, you mind providing proof?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Um, no they didn't. Verizon hasn't actually announced anything, reporters have been predicting.

I can tell you that I will be at the Verizon store that day011.

Have fun with Verizon, I personally wouldn't choose company that purposely defrauded their customers. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz Core i5 4GB 1066Mhz 320GB 5400-rpm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple officially announces iPhone for Verizon in 2011

Verizon Announces iPhone

Verizon Says 4G Wireless Coming To Northeast - Video - WMUR Manchester

I also happen to know someone inside Verizon who confirms this info ...

We can take some bets on it if you like ? I might even give you odds. The phone is coming to Verizon.

Uh, none of those are legit so no, it hasn't officially been announced.

No one is saying Verizon won't have it, but it certainly hasn't been officially announced and a date hasn't been stated.

I still stand by my statement that I would never switch to a company that purposely defrauded its customers.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still stand by my statement that I would never switch to a company that purposely defrauded its customers.

When did Verizon try to commit fraud against their customers?

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.