Flash comes to Smartphones yet it won't be coming to the iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Standard Spec. iPhone 4 16GB
Well, once again it seems Apple iPhone users have been left out. It has been announce the flash will be coming to most Smartphones later this year. But it has been said that it will not be coming to the Apple iPhone. Is anyone else getting a bit sick and tired hearing all this great stuff and none of it is for the Apple iPhone even though we pay more for the iPhone than most other phones. It seems to me that Apple have made their money from the iPhone and are just sitting back and watching the world go by. :Not-Amused:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You better talk to Adobe not Apple. Flash is their program.

Adobe needs to do something about Flash using 120-130% CPU in OS X before they can even begin to rewrite for the iPhone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Actually, when subsidized, it can be cheaper. The iPhone 3GS 16GB for instance is cheaper than the BB Curve & Bold, Sony Ericsson X1 and the Nokia N95 here. Not that this is relevant but it could be easily argued that work should be done to accommodate those phones first since the customer paid more.

And bobtomay said what I was going to say about Flash. I have nothing nice to say about Flash. The excessive CPU usage it requires just to render a video would make your iPhone hot enough to cook an egg. Trust me, you don't want it on the iPhone. Plus, how much Flash content do you view in a day? Most Flash content people view is either YouTube (which is served through the YouTube app) or it's other Flash video which would be too small inside a browser window on the iPhone anyway. The majority of other Flash content is annoying ads with sounds.

On top of this, Apple has nothing to do with Flash. Apple can't force Adobe to make a Flash build for the iPhone. Considering the draconian rules Apple has about new programs for the iPhone, it would be near impossible for Flash to get on the phone. On a more technical level, I believe Apple's policy for acceptance onto the iPhone is that it can't execute or interpret code, which many Flash apps do through the use of Actionscript. I believe it is this policy that killed Java on the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is that side of it also. Am not a big fan of flash.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Bobtomay is pointing out is even on Macs with OSX Flash is hogging all the CPU cycles. If it were on an iPhone which as you know is a stripped down OSX, it would bog down the CPU so badly it would be unusable. There is an issue with Flash on OSX that needs to be addressed by Adobe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've read that as well (see here for example, end of 2nd paragraph). Adobe has to build it so Apple can reject it. On the same token, Apple hasn't rejected it (AFAIK) because Adobe hasn't tried to negotiate for its inclusion. Depending how you want to look at it, both could be responsible for it. I think the fault lies largely with Apple but for me, in this one case, it's a good thing.

What Bobtomay is pointing out is even on Macs with OSX Flash is hogging all the CPU cycles. If it were on an iPhone which as you know is a stripped down OSX, it would bog down the CPU so badly it would be unusable. There is an issue with Flash on OSX that needs to be addressed by Adobe.
I couldn't agree more. I can foresee people complaining about overheating iPhones because of this. I also agree that they need to fix all the desktop issues they have first before trying to move Flash onto more devices, particularly ones that have much fewer resource with which to render Flash content. Actually, a better idea would be to cease Flash development altogether but that won't happen...unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.