Questions re: upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm obviously new here so I'm sorry if this topic has been gone over a trillion times. If so, if you could link me to older threads with relevant information that would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a new iPhone 4 for Christmas and as a result have to upgrade my computer (15 inch Macbook Pro from September 07, Intel chip and all that jazz) from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I've already got the Box Set to do the upgrade and my understanding is that I'll just have to pop in the disc and everything will work from there? I have a few questions though.

1. What is the likelihood that I will lose all my files/programs during the upgrade? I know that the prudent thing to do is to back up all my stuff regardless, but my external hard drive is back at school (I'm a college student home for the holidays) and I'd like to avoid the hassle of doing an online file backup if possible. So do you think its strictly necessary I back up everything, or can I get away with not?

2. Will there be any compatibility issues with my old programs? I assume this should be fine, but I just want to make sure...my old Tiger-compatible MS Office programs and etc should still work, correct?

3. Is there an easy way to transfer files between PC and Mac? I guess I'm specifically wondering if there's any PC equivalent of Mac's Target Disk Mode, so I could just back up all my files in a folder on my Dad's computer or something, but really any Mac-PC file transfer solution will do.

edit: oh fwiw, I'm mostly concerned with backing up my music/movies as most of my documents are already backed up on Google Docs, so if there was a solution specific to media files that would be brilliant

Thanks so much everyone!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone! I'm obviously new here so I'm sorry if this topic has been gone over a trillion times.

Yes it has...Yes it has!;)

Try using the search feature...hopefully this will turn up a bunch of threads.:)

Welcome,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Here is one thread that I had a couple of replies on. As a starting point to all your questions. Hope this helps a little

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Here is one thread that I had a couple of replies on. As a starting point to all your questions. Hope this helps a little

- Simon

:D
You forgot to add the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.