Steam on Mabook Pro help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
Here's my set up.
Currently typing this on my dads old G4 Powerbook which is a brilliant machine and I whole heartedly appreciate its greatness, on top of this the computer next to me (currently streaming an episode of Stargate Atlantis) is an older G4 iMac (the cabbage). This however presents a problem as neither of these can even stand up to my gaming rig.

My situation is this, up until last week I had a windows rig for gaming (8800gts 320, 3gig ram, 1TB HDD) and it was terrific. However I suddenly realised I'd need a new laptop for college which I start on the 4th of September; so I went on eBay and bought a Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz latest model), but I also want to be able to run my steam client on the Macbook pro.

Upon doing some research I discovered Crossover, which seems like a good idea but i'm not too sure about the fact the steam games only have a silver rating on crossovers website.

My question is : Is it worth getting crossover or sticking to the ever so tedious bootcamp with Windows XP.

Mac user, because bugs fly in through open Windows.

P.S. I'm a re-convinced switcher. I completely skipped the G5's and the first Intels because they seemed pathetic so i went to windows. With the greatly awaited integration of nVidia's eight thousand series I decided it was time to go back to my roots.

Hi www.mac-forums.com :) pleased to be back.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's my set up.
Currently typing this on my dads old G4 Powerbook which is a brilliant machine and I whole heartedly appreciate its greatness, on top of this the computer next to me (currently streaming an episode of Stargate Atlantis) is an older G4 iMac (the cabbage). This however presents a problem as neither of these can even stand up to my gaming rig.

My situation is this, up until last week I had a windows rig for gaming (8800gts 320, 3gig ram, 1TB HDD) and it was terrific. However I suddenly realised I'd need a new laptop for college which I start on the 4th of September; so I went on eBay and bought a Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz latest model), but I also want to be able to run my steam client on the Macbook pro.

Upon doing some research I discovered Crossover, which seems like a good idea but i'm not too sure about the fact the steam games only have a silver rating on crossovers website.

Crossover is pretty shaky. It uses WINE, which is sort of like an API translation layer. Many applications will run on it, but I wouldn't want to game with it.

If you want to run Steam, just install Windows in Boot Camp. HL2, Portal and COD3 all run beautifully on my machine.

My question is : Is it worth getting crossover or sticking to the ever so tedious bootcamp with Windows XP.

Mac user, because bugs fly in through open Windows.

P.S. I'm a re-convinced switcher. I completely skipped the G5's and the first Intels because they seemed pathetic so i went to windows. With the greatly awaited integration of nVidia's eight thousand series I decided it was time to go back to my roots.

Hi www.mac-forums.com :) pleased to be back.

Welcome. Boot Camp really isn't so tedious. It's a breeze to install and the drivers are now very mature.

OP
Simnol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
If you want to run Steam, just install Windows in Boot Camp. HL2, Portal and COD3 all run beautifully on my machine.

You mentioned these three, have you used CS:S or Cod4? Because these are the two I would most like to run.

Also is the machine you're talking about your 15" Macbook?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You mentioned these three, have you used CS:S or Cod4? Because these are the two I would most like to run.

Also is the machine you're talking about your 15" Macbook?

Sorry, I meant to say COD4, 3 was only for the consoles. I don't run CS:S because I'm not big into multiplayer stuff, but considering that everything else that runs on the Source engine works great, I can't imagine it would be any different.

Yes, I'm referring to my MacBook Pro (Penryn C2D 2.4, 4GB, 8600GT/512).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.