Is it worth getting my Macbook repaired?

Reaction score
I've had my Macbook (Tiger 10.4.11) since 2005 and I use it on a daily basis for film editing and web design. It's a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 GB memory. Basically, it overheats, it doesn't stay on without the power cable connected (though I've checked and the battery is fully charged), some of the keys don't work anymore (s, w, 2, F2, and tab), and the airport is a bit temperamental.

Any advice on whether a repair is worth it? Or is four years the lifespan for Macbooks?

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any advice on whether a repair is worth it? Or is four years the lifespan for Macbooks?

The lifespan of your MacBook is way longer than 4 years!

Unfortunately it sounds like your MacBook is suffering from a number of problems..,and of course since laptops are mobile, if they experience rough handling in their lifetime or see lots & lots of use (more than average), that will cause additional problems.

As far as the computer not staying on when unplugged. Even though your battery is fully charged...that does not guarantee a long runtime. Your battery could be so old & worn out that a 100% charge for your old battery may only mean 5 minutes of total runtime unplugged!

I can almost guarantee if you purchased a new battery, your laptop would work great unplugged!:)

As far as the keys not working & the intermittent Airport. You could replace the keyboard, and the Airport problem may or may not be hardware based.

You also mentioned overheating...how do you know it is overheating?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it's overheating because it started switching off when I watched films fullscreen on VLC. I did some research and found out that Macbooks automatically shut down when they reach about 85 degrees C. I downloaded smcfancontrol to make the fan run overtime and it helped a lot.

So you'd say it's worth getting it repaired?

There are a couple of programs I want that need Leopard. Can Macbooks run Leopard?

S

OP
S
Reaction score
Also it's worth mentioning that it worked just fine (2.5 hours) without the power cable until about a week ago. It just changed suddenly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it's overheating because it started switching off when I watched films fullscreen on VLC. I did some research and found out that Macbooks automatically shut down when they reach about 85 degrees C. I downloaded smcfancontrol to make the fan run overtime and it helped a lot.

So you'd say it's worth getting it repaired?

There are a couple of programs I want that need Leopard. Can Macbooks run Leopard?

S

Your overheating explanation does make sense if it is shutting off by itself...especially since video playback does really push things to the limit. When this happens is your laptop getting good ventilation?...i.e. Not on your lap?

Maybe a little extra ventilation could help.

Your MacBook can definitely run Leopard...the bigger question may be, are you willing to spend $100-$125 for the install DVD?;) You could even install OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

As far as repairing:

- replacing the keyboard yourself would save you some bucks
- the replacement battery could be optional (depends how much you need to use it unplugged)
- see if you can find a solution to that overheating problem (or stop watching films/videos)
- maybe your laptop is dirty inside (full of air-flow reducing "fuzz") helping to cause overheating issues.

I hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here is my 2 cents. Keyboard buttons can stop functioning when the rubber sensing pad at the bottom gets coated with packed dust(normally happens to the buttons that are used the most). I would be willing to bet that the button(underneath) is just dirty.

Vacuum the interior of the macbook to get rid of dust(spray, then vacuum), because it kind of sounds like it might be dusty inside.

Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is my 2 cents. Keyboard buttons can stop functioning when the rubber sensing pad at the bottom gets coated with packed dust(normally happens to the buttons that are used the most). I would be willing to bet that the button(underneath) is just dirty.

Vacuum the interior of the macbook to get rid of dust(spray, then vacuum), because it kind of sounds like it might be dusty inside.

Good luck!

Good idea! Always better to try the inexpensive fixes first!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I've got the same problem as you with regards to a battery that holds charge for only a few minutes. But it does seem very odd that there would be such a sudden decline in the last few weeks. But a replacement battery as pigoo3 mentioned would be almost 100% likely to fix it!

If keys are a problem, I'd give what idrinorbarsaku mentions a go. After a good clean out I found my keys were 'clicking' to the same level rather than a few being a little uneven. Failing that, you can get the keyboard replaced. People with major hardware problems often split their MaBooks up, so you could easily pick one up quite cheaply. Apple will replace them too, but I don't know how much that would cost.

Finally, you could do what I did and simply take your 'Book into the Apple Store and tell them everything you've told us and see what they think. A simple investigation by them won't cost you a thing. Perhaps they'll say things need replacing, or perhaps only a good clean-up is required, but I found a free consultation is never a bad thing!

Hope that helps!

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.