How do I change the hard drive I boot from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror Drive Doors
The installation of the Seagate 500 Gig drive appears to be be successfull.
Data is being copied from the old 80 Gig drive.
How do I switch the drive I boot from?

Do I need to change the cable connection so the "new" master drive "Seagate500 Gig" is the black connector and the new slave is my old 80 Gig IBM drive?

Also, I will need to change the jumper settings.
This is clear on the 500 Gig Seagate drive but I don't know how I should set the 80 Gig IBM drive?

I know how to change the boot drive in preferences.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks to all that have gotten me this far!

Wayne;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boot the system. Open System Preferences, Startup Disk. In there both drives should show up. Choose the one you want and click restart. It will boot from that drive.

What are you using to copy? If you just copy files over the drive will not boot if you are using OSX unless you use a cloner program.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror Drive Doors
cable and jumpers

Are you saying I don't need to change the cable and jumpers?

Thanks!
Wayne

Reaction score
If the new drive has a bootable system on it and you can copy files to and from it, the Startup Disk preference should recognize it.

If it does but you switch startup disks and it won't start, the machine should look for another drive with a system and boot from it automatically.

But if it doesn't do that, restart and hold down the X key. This will force it to start from a System X drive or partition. Or hold down the Option key, which will give you a choice (takes a bit longer) of which drive or partition you want to boot from.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror Drive Doors
It worked!

It booted from the new drive.
Thanks for all the help!

Will the new HD be more efficient if I change the cable and jumpers to make it the Master HD?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
Will the new HD be more efficient if I change the cable and jumpers to make it the Master HD?
I dunno. I doubt it, but someone should know.

I use AppleScripts to boot into my two OS 9 partitions and OS 9 scripts to boot back into my single X partition. These do away with having to go into the Startup Disk preference pane/control panel.

But none of them are written to boot from a X partition/drive into another X partition/drive. If you'll do it frequently, it might be worth while to find the script that will do it. Maybe you could find one on macscriptor.net. That's where I found the ones I use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have done it both ways on different machines. As long as it works, I doubt messing with the jumpers will make much difference. Apple normally uses Cable Select, at least on the Power Macs I have messed with. I am more used to Master/Slave since I have been a PC Tech for so many years.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Mirror Drive Doors
It worked!

It's working fine with the jumpers and cable set as if the old drive is the Master even though I'm booting with and running from the new drive.

I guess I will see what happens.

Cheers,
Wayne

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.