Office 2004 - How many installs used?

Reaction score
Can anyone help please?

I purchased a used copy of Office for Mac 2004 (Student and Teacher) a couple of years ago. It works fine whenever in need it.

The only problem is that I now don't know how many of the three installs have been used!

Obviously, I've used one.

The previous owner has used at least one, but possibly BOTH of the other two. How can I find out?

How can I find out if there are any installs still available without actually trying to install on to another machine?

If there is one left, I would like to sell on Ebay again.

Thanks

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do not think you can. Try another install and see what happens. Be aware Office 2004 is not compatible with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
The actual ability to install the S&T edition are determined by legnth of time from activating the same s/n. I have personally installed S&T with the first s/n 3 times due to various upgrades. I believe the magic number is 180 days. If you activate before that time has passed, the activation server will flag the install. Don't worry though, the worst Microsoft can do to you is force you to call into the automated activation hotline. Microsoft will never accuse you of pirating (you can litigate for slander) the worst they can do is make it difficult for you. These are not based on any inside knowledge or documentation, but on observations of microsoft product installations over the last decade.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2004 and Office 2008 do not require activation. Microsoft began activation for Mac Office with the 2011 version. The Home and Student version of MS Office 2008 comes with 3 serial numbers. Each serial number can be used on two machines for a total of 6 installs. I believe 2004 is the same.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for these posts. So I guess my question is:

How can I find out how many on the product keys have been used?

Thanks

John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for these posts. So I guess my question is:

How can I find out how many on the product keys have been used?

Thanks

John

There's no way to tell because 2004 does not require activation. I'm not at all suggesting violating the spirit of the MS EULA, however, if you have the product keys, just go ahead and use one. As long as you do not exceed what the EULA specifies, you should be fine. Remember, each product key can be used on two machines: 1 desktop and 1 notebook.

If you were using Office 2011 the EULA is quite different and it also requires on line activation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.