reinstalling OS on a MacBook, from a MacBook Pro disk

Reaction score
I have a MacBook i bought from someone, and he doesn't have the OS disk. However, i do have a OS disk i got from someone who has a MacBook Pro. This disk says '15 inch MacBook Pro Mac OS X install DVD' on it.
I wanted to ask whether or not i can reisntall OS on my MacBook using this disc?, since it's for a MacBook pro....

My Mac really needs to be reinstalled......

P.S: i also have a 'MacBook Pro Applications install DVD'
What is that? Do i need it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Those "gray" disks are model specific...and generally speaking only work on the model they were shipped with.

If you need an OS install disk...just go to your local Apple Store (or order online) and get the $29 dollar Snow Leopard disk. This is probably the best deal Apple has ever offered on an OS install disk (usually OS install disks over the years have cost at least $100+).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Only problem is im from Israel...... and shipping makes it a bit more expensive.

So there is no way i can use the MacBook Pro disk?

Is there any way to download Snow Leopard?

And what is the diffrence between OS X and Leopard? Is it just a model of OS X, or is a different software?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hopefully you figured the cost of obtaining the OS disc into the negotiated price of the machine.

For any others reading this and looking to purchase "any" computer without the software discs for the OS being ncluded - make sure you take $100-$200 discount up front just for the OS when purchasing a used machine.

Any 3rd party software they're including without the discs - is worth nothing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Only problem is im from Israel...... and shipping makes it a bit more expensive.

Yes...it appears it is a bit more difficult to get Apple products in Israel. All I can say is, go to this website:

Apple (Israel) - Where to Buy

...and see what they say about how to obtain Apple products.

So there is no way i can use the MacBook Pro disk?

Isn't that what was said already???;)

Is there any way to download Snow Leopard?

No. All Apple OS install software sold is on DVD.

And what is the diffrence between OS X and Leopard? Is it just a model of OS X, or is a different software?

I think that you are confused. "OS X" (OS 10.0) is simply the most current version of OS software Apple has been using since about 2001. OS 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6...are simply updates/upgrades/improvements to the OS X since 2001.

OS 10.5 "Leopard" (released in 2007) is simply one of the updates/upgrades.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Even though you are from Israel & have to pay shipping. $29 dollars (US dollars) + shipping for OS 10.6...is still a HECK of a lot less expensive than paying $129 US dollars for an OS upgrade...which is what Apple usually has charged for other OS upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.