Best Free Virus Protection

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newb here. Whats the best virius protection software I can download for the Mac that is FREE?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Most people here will tell you that you don't need virus protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Most people here will tell you that you don't need virus protection.

You don't. Most mac anti-virus programs are made to prevent viruses from affecting a windows machine networked to a mac, just in case the Mac downloaded any malicious software.

My point is: If you are not regularly connecting to a network that is primarily composed of windows computers, an anti-virus is useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you really want one, ClamX. It doesn't even look for viruses for a Mac, since there are none. It will scan for Windows viruses though.

OP
J
Reaction score
I connect via wireless networks all the time, does this leave me susceptible to windows stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you can download the files or get them in e-mail, but they won't do anything to your Mac. You can, however, pass them on to your Windows using friends and co-workers.

Reaction score
Well, you can download the files or get them in e-mail, but they won't do anything to your Mac. You can, however, pass them on to your Windows using friends and co-workers

that would be fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is there a problem though? To pass a virus onto a PC, you'd have to be in possession of an obvious file which would be a virus and send it across to a PC. That person would also have to be pretty dim to open it.

Really you'd need a virus that installed itself without your knowledge and sent itself to another user, either through a network or an OS X email program.

Which is precisely what Windows viruses do and what OS X will not allow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i have a mac and i connect to the network at work all the time which is made up of pc's i have the only mac and allt he pcs have antivirus software so i dont see any need for it besides its just another useless application taking up space on my macbook pro hard drive which could be better used for pron or music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.