Mac osx blue-screen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I joined Mac Forums in particular to ask about a few questions- one I will ask here.

My computer recently blue-screened when I tried to restart it. I have heard this usually has something to do with one of the programs malfunctioning in the start-up which in turn results in the entire computer not wanting to start :Angry:

I lent the Mac CD to a friend who lives across the country so I have decided to take it back to where I bought (Best Buy) it to see if they can fix it. I had a 3 year warranty on it.

This is my question: do you think they can reboot it while saving all my stuff???? I have around 4000 songs, 5000 pictures and a lot of important documents on it. The worst part is, my father has told me time and time again to back stuff up but since I don't even really know how to I have just been lazy and let it slide. I am pretty sure now I will buy a external hard drive and learn how to use it!

Thanks

Reaction score
The last time I experienced the blue screen, I had to reinstall. Fortunately, it's possible to do this without re-formatting (so no need for a backup). There should be an option called "archive and install" option that installs a fresh system but leaves the old system folder under the name "Previous System" or something. I can't remember if it keeps applications and users...but if it doesn't, you can always move the data into the proper locations.

OP
C
Reaction score
I don't have the Tiger version I want however, I could borrow the Leopard version. If I did this would I then lose the data?

Reaction score
I don't have the Tiger version I want however, I could borrow the Leopard version. If I did this would I then lose the data?
Leopard should have the same install options, but since it's newer than Tiger, you could do an "Upgrade" and your data will still be intact. However, make sure your computer meets the requirements for Leopard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Leopard should have the same install options, but since it's newer than Tiger, you could do an "Upgrade" and your data will still be intact. However, make sure your computer meets the requirements for Leopard.

So depressing. It would have worked but... I don't have the required free space archiving and installing the leopard would require :(

Anyways, so my dad is trying to recover files by booting the system on Ubuntu... at least we are going somewhere now.
I am still feeling skeptical and am wondering if there are any other possibilities.

Do you know, or anyone else know if when I do take it to Best Buy to be fixed if they DO or CAN archive before reinstalling?

Thanks for you help

Reaction score
So depressing. It would have worked but... I don't have the required free space archiving and installing the leopard would require :(

Anyways, so my dad is trying to recover files by booting the system on Ubuntu... at least we are going somewhere now.
I am still feeling skeptical and am wondering if there are any other possibilities.

Do you know, or anyone else know if when I do take it to Best Buy to be fixed if they DO or CAN archive before reinstalling?

Thanks for you help
Since Leopard is newer, you don't have to do an archive install. You should be able to upgrade. Best Buy just sells computers, they can't fix them as far as I know. But with the help of the fine folks on this forum, you should be able to get it running again without too much trouble.:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Yay! my dad was able to get everything back!!! I bought a external hard drive and he was able to boot up the system that way, transfer all my info onto it. Then, we installed leopard on it, and brought everything back over. Now the only problem i have now - from fiddling around with it, is I can not find the iPhoto application, anywhere. It is not on the hardrive nor the external one. I can still see all my photos on the external hard drive on iphoto but only when the hard drive is plugged into the comp. But, I can not find just the application, only my pictures (which is pretty good).

My question to you is: where can I find a quality free download of a photo organizer online? iphoto would be best but picasa for mac would be ok too.

Reaction score
I can not find the iPhoto application, anywhere. It is not on the hardrive nor the external one. I can still see all my photos on the external hard drive on iphoto but only when the hard drive is plugged into the comp. But, I can not find just the application, only my pictures (which is pretty good).

My question to you is: where can I find a quality free download of a photo organizer online? iphoto would be best but picasa for mac would be ok too.
iPhoto is apparently now part of the iLife suite, which you have to buy separately. Fortunately, you can get an older version from OldApps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did your dad back everything up to the external? How about the Applications folder? If so, iPhoto should be there on the backup external.

There is no Picasa for OSX.

OP
C
Reaction score
Did your dad back everything up to the external? How about the Applications folder? If so, iPhoto should be there on the backup external.

There is no Picasa for OSX.

He did back up everything on the external and we can not find anything. The only thing we can find is my library, but not the actually application.

I think Kahlil88 is right, now you have to buy iPhoto when you upgrade to or install leopard. It's ********, but I just need some sort of photo organizer, and the old iphoto is good. Sometimes it has weird glitches, but for the most part it's excellent.

Thanks for the link Kahlil88!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.