I only wish...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
...that you could overclock a Macbook.

C

chas_m

...that you could overclock a Macbook.

Not a lot of interest in the Mac community for overclocking -- because enough of us early "pioneer" types found out what happens when you go too far.

And like someone who owns a motorcycle -- someday you WILL find out what its like when things go funky. :)

Not many people feel like risking their $2000 machine for a net <10% gain (generally).

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
lol I understand...and I have owned and messed up many a bike haha. I guess I just wonder, when 3.6 + processors are available, why Mac tends to use such slower ones?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well if you could it would void the warranty. Plus I don't really see the point in overclocking a notebook. A gaming rig, yes.

C

chas_m

lol I understand...and I have owned and messed up many a bike haha. I guess I just wonder, when 3.6 + processors are available, why Mac tends to use such slower ones?

1. Price.
2. Stability.
3. Heat management.
4. I presume you are referring to the Pentium 4 560 or the Xeon, but there's really nothing faster than a core i7 out there at the moment (at least, not according to Intel, who make the other 3.6GHz processors referred to above) and the top speed for that is 3.2GHz ... just slightly less than what's used in the iMac. :)
5. Which proves that clock rating on the chip ≠ everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.