Organizing Applications?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Noob here -

My Applications folder is getting a bit crowded, wondering if it is generally OK to create folders to catagorize various applications (like "Games", "Graphics", System Tools", etc.)?

I just drag the app into the folder, right? Does this break anything (can you tell I was a PC user? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
You can do that, but I would recommend leaving the actual Apple apps where they are. If you move them, software update, etc. can't find them and will fail. If you are talking about organizing third-party apps, it should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I wouldn't suggest you move the Adobe apps however. Lots of links are broken. Other small timers are okay to move around. Still, what's with you finding your app folder crowded? I never ever go there!

I always used Quicksilver for launch my apps (if it's not there in the dock). And now that spotlight is powerful enough, you could go right ahead..

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
I guess I could use Spotlight - just not a habit yet.

I can't find Quicksilver, at least on the developer's site - I haven't spent a big effort to find it yet, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If app launching is the only thing, then QS is not needed as spotlight is mighty fast in Leopard. However, if you are a keyboard kind of guy who doesn't mind the slightly steep learning curve of QS, then there's nothing like it.

Here's another alternative. Aliases!
You make another Applications folder, Create your Games, Media, whatever folders in there. And just dump the aliases from the real applications in there (right-click > create alias). And since Aliases in OS X are super smart, you don't have to worry about the links breaking and such. What's more, you could even dump those 'alias folders' into your dock to make them into stacks! Am I a genius or what!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
even in tiger, spotlight is just fine. it's what i've been using since i bought my macbook a little over a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
even in tiger, spotlight is just fine. it's what i've been using since i bought my macbook a little over a year ago.
Wait till you see spotlight in Leopard. I suggest you check it out if you haven't already...

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a macbook for xmas, and stereotypically am having some trouble breaking my windows default actions. I seem to have copied all my applications into a specific application folder. twice. Now the original applications are still there, but it won't let me delete either of the copied 'links' (?). have i copied the applications twice? how can I get rid of the copies!! please help!

cheekaymonkay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be that the copies of the applications are open. See in the dock if the application is open.

Which "Specific application folder" have you copied to might I ask? Cause the best place is the default applications folder.

Reaction score
Sorry, i didn't really make myself clear. i have (somehow) copied the default applications folder, into a folder within. i.e. its in the toast 8 titanium folder, within the default applications folder. i know i know i'm special!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.