Desktop stand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2GB ram. 120GB HD. 250 GB external. Mac OSX 2.5 Leopard
My MacBook has become my primary desktop machine.

I'd like a stand that would elevate it in order to improve airflow.

Is anyone using a stand or docking station they'd reccomend?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
For stands, the Rain Design mStand is my personal favorite, but the Griffin Elevator is very popular as well. The Rain Design costs about $10 more on average than the Griffin.

As far as docking stations, the Bookendz is the only one I know of, and I don't have any personal experience with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i have looked at the bookendz docking station that one thing that worries me about it is the weight. i do use the griffen elevator and depending on the weight of the bookendz it seems like a poor design to have it hanging of a mac while it is on a stand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't try to use the bookendz in conjunction with a stand... I guess that's one of the reasons I've never really considered it, as it is pretty easy to just connect up my keyboard, monitor, and FW drive really quickly at the desk, and I like to have my laptop elevated to bring it up with my monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
Griffin Elevator here. It's great, but don't scratch up the clear plastic. It looks gross if you do. I keep my MB on the stand 24/7 unless it is out mobile with me. I orignally purchased it for DJ'ing to keep some gear under the laptop during shows, but now when I have it at my desk, the MB is at the same height as my large dell monitor, which makes working with both at the same time a pleasure. It also helps greatly with airflow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I like the Vantec LapCool 2 and 3; they're more effective than a stand alone (though they do angle the notebook slightly) and they're not obtrusively noisy at all.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I love my PodiumPad by roadtools. It packs small (take it with you on the road), the degree of tilt is adjustable, and has a sweet pivot feature. My MacBook spends 99% of its life on the pad, and it's rock-solid. The friction pads are non-marking and have never slipped a bit.

Edit: ALSO, it turns out, it's the cheapest alternative at $30. Compare the mStand at $50 (WT?) and the Elevator at $32

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
i know not what you asked but if you are going to be using your macbook as a desktop computer then i say spend sum cash get your self a nice tv or monitor i got a cheap hd tv for mine when it got desktoped and the over to the apple store for a keyboard and mouse i know its not cheap but so worth it

and what can be better than have a nice 32" mac to do all your work and stuff on

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My MacBook has become my primary desktop machine.

I'd like a stand that would elevate it in order to improve airflow.

Is anyone using a stand or docking station they'd reccomend?

Thanks!

I have the Rain Design mStand. It's not cheap, but it works great and was well worth the money, IMO.

Reaction score
does the mStand truly help with ergonomics like it says?... sraightening your back/arms etc. becuse of the angle and raised position?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does the mStand truly help with ergonomics like it says?... sraightening your back/arms etc. becuse of the angle and raised position?

In my case, yes - it works great.

Reaction score
I use the one of the Lapvantage White Domes. It looks good with my white MacBook (originally looked good with my white iBook). I can't find where they're sold online anymore so they may not make them. Here's what they look like:

lovemacs_2030_420040170

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the Rain Design mStand but it seems too much for "just a stand".

Yep, I felt the same way until I set it up and started using it. It's perfectly angled with a hole for cable management, plenty of area for heat dissipation and well-padded to prevent scratches. On the MacBook Pro, there's even a notch cut out so you can still use the latch release. It's very sturdy too.

Here's a cellphone pic of mine:

mstand.jpg

Reaction score
I'm looking for a lap desk with a place to use a wireless mouse. It seems there are lots of decent lap desks that help with heat, but I've yet to see one where I can use a mouse extension. Well, I did see one (forgot the name), but it looked extremely uncomfortable. I'm not in the best of health, so I use my MB a lot in bed and in a recliner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.