Please help me Import MacData From USB hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have an iMac G5 that I accidentally deleted a system file from and the Computer wouldn't boot. Since the available space on the drive was not much (15GB) I decided to buy a larger drive and install it on the G5. All was installed and done and the G5 is running like a champ but all my data is on the original drive. I got an external drive case and placed the original drive in it and attached it to the G5 it mounts OK and i can access my data but I would like to just import everything at once using the "Migration Assistant" but when I run it it doesn't see the drive. Am I doing something wrong? Can I import data from the original drive another way (other than individually copying all my data over)?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not use the migration assistant to copy from an external hard drive to your new computer. The migration assistant works with a firewire connection, network, or wireless from computer to computer.

I'm afraid that for now you're limited to doing a straight copy from the external to your new Mac. That isn't difficult as you really shouldn't be copying programs that need to be installed. For documents, photos, music, and most other data, a direct copy is usually OK.

Reaction score
You can not use the migration assistant to copy from an external hard drive to your new computer. The migration assistant works with a firewire connection, network, or wireless from computer to computer.

It says in Migration assistant you can migrate from 'any connected startup disc'. So I think the OP would be okay to do this with his HD connected through the external enclosure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It says in Migration assistant you can migrate from 'any connected startup disc'. So I think the OP would be okay to do this with his HD connected through the external enclosure.

As far as I know and from the Apple KB, it doesn't work that way. See this article and draw your own conclusion. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.