Problems with CompaqFlash card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hey guys and gals! New here and new to Macs so I need a bit of help ;)

I have a Canon Rebel XT so ... it uses CompaqFlash cards. I have a SanDisk USB drive that I use to download the content of the card onto my mac.

My problem is when I delete pictures and the folders from the card (via Finder and not the software that comes with the camera) and I put the card back in my camera I get Err CP everytime.

I have to go then on my PC and format the card and then it's fine.

So... how can I get this to work on my iMac now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Hey guys and gals! New here and new to Macs so I need a bit of help ;)

I have a Canon Rebel XT so ... it uses CompaqFlash cards. I have a SanDisk USB drive that I use to download the content of the card onto my mac.

My problem is when I delete pictures and the folders from the card (via Finder and not the software that comes with the camera) and I put the card back in my camera I get Err CP everytime.

I have to go then on my PC and format the card and then it's fine.

So... how can I get this to work on my iMac now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

First off, its CompactFlash. lol. Its not made by Compaq. ;)

Second, don't delete the folders, only the pictures. I usually delete the pictures from my card anyway on my 40D.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
First off, its CompactFlash. lol. Its not made by Compaq. ;)

hehe... yeah... I was writing fast :p

Second, don't delete the folders, only the pictures. I usually delete the pictures from my card anyway on my 40D.[/QUOTE]

OK thanks!

Guess I'll have to fire up the PC and format the disk properly one last time then eh?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Why do you need to delete the images of the card when it's attached to a computer?

Cameras use the FAT32 format for their memory cards, when you delete the photos, OSX is doing something to the files that simply means that it's no longer 100% FAT32 in the way that a camera can access.

I've never once formatted a card in a computer for two reasons.

1) You run the risk of this kind of error. I've seen everything from people formatting cards as NTFS and HFS+ and then complaining their card is dead when they put it in their camera, to formatting the card on their computer and then in their camera 'just to make sure'.

2) If your camera can write the file allocation table to the card it can certainly write images to it. This is a sure fire way to know if you can actually take photos before it's too late. As soon as I slap a card in I format in the camera, any errors the card gets tossed to the bottom of the bag and I grab another card that works. This way I never miss a shot.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Why do you need to delete the images of the card when it's attached to a computer?

Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but I delete the images once they are download on the computer so that I can re-use the card?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but I delete the images once they are download on the computer so that I can re-use the card?!

Formatting the card deletes the pictures, writes a nice clean file allocation table and is often quicker than just deleting photos manually

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Formatting the card deletes the pictures, writes a nice clean file allocation table and is often quicker than just deleting photos manually

Yeah ... I know that! :)

Can I format the card with my iMac? I tried it (I think) but it didn't work.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I always erase and reformat my cards in the camera in which they are used. You are much less likely to corrupt the card or get errors with this method. However, I do not delete individual pictures from the card--I always delete them from within iPhoto after they are imported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah ... I know that! :)

Can I format the card with my iMac? I tried it (I think) but it didn't work.

Thanks for the help!

Umm, please re-read my first reply.

Basically, no, don't use your Mac to format the card. Use your camera

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
HAHA!!! I didn't even know I could format the card with my camera! DUH!

Found it, formatted it and now it works!

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.