3g limited plan...run out yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone, g4 PowerBook, ipad
Anybody planned to have stuck with just the $15 plan...or did you go ahead and get the $30 plan for this month at least? If you tried the $15 plan, have you run out yet? How much is 250mb in real usage? Like say for shopping Amazon, or browsing these forums here? Anyway to monitor how big a page is...before downloading it via 3g?

And finally, if you do the $15 plan, and you are out of your data for the month, will you still have the extra wifi hotspots available?

Probably going to end up on the $30 plan most months...but do really like the option for only do $15 at first. Or wait...if you are on the $15 plan...and you are in the middle of the month...and run out...do you pay $15 more to convert to the $30 plan...or do you have to then pay the $30 and your cycle begins then for the $30 plan???? [Edit: Descriptions seems to indicate the later.]

So many questions about the 3g data plan.

Thanks!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What? You mean to say they actually have 3G in Beaumont?

;D

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What? You mean to say they actually have 3G in Beaumont?

Ok friend to the North! I sure hope so. This would be my first 3g service. If it isn't reliable here in Beaumont...it sure would be nice to know. Map shows it to be available. But if it isn't then I guess my wifi version will be fine...and I can stop calling the 11 Houston locations I just wrote down to try to drive and get one today.

I actually have two iPhones (wife and I) but no phone service. I have Sprint on my cell phone...and am locked in with a really low monthly fee (less than $75, two phones, unlimited web, etc.). But if the 3g in Beaumont is going to be lame...then maybe I need to rethink my plan!

????

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I don't know what it'd be like, just razzin' ya.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JOY!!! Figured as much...especially once I saw you were in Dallas!

I don't know why I have to get one today...like they aren't going get any here in Beaumont this week...I guess just still upset they dist me on Friday...AND most importantly, I want my freedom today...been waiting for years I guess...and I want it to be over!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
I opted for the limited data package just because I will spend most of my time on my iPad at home on my wifi. However I was under the impression that if you approached the 250 megabit limit it would prompt you to upgrade to the unlimited plan and charge the difference for the duration of the month "$15" So if you had 1 week or 1 day left in the month it would still cost 15 but not start your bill cycle over. Am I off this?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if you had 1 week or 1 day left in the month it would still cost 15 but not start your bill cycle over. Am I off this?

Hmmm...well, the description has CHANGED twice on the Apple site for sure. 3 weeks ago it was vague. Last week it was specific. This week it is back to vague.

Actually, I must be reading different pages slightly...because here is what it says right now:

"If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly data limit so you can decide whether to turn off 3G or upgrade to the unlimited plan."

Two days ago...it did not NOT mention the "turn off 3g"...but it did last week. I must be landing on a slightly didn't page with different descriptions of what happens at the end of the 250mb.

Reaction score
Anybody planned to have stuck with just the $15 plan...or did you go ahead and get the $30 plan for this month at least? If you tried the $15 plan, have you run out yet? How much is 250mb in real usage? Like say for shopping Amazon, or browsing these forums here? Anyway to monitor how big a page is...before downloading it via 3g?

And finally, if you do the $15 plan, and you are out of your data for the month, will you still have the extra wifi hotspots available?

Probably going to end up on the $30 plan most months...but do really like the option for only do $15 at first. Or wait...if you are on the $15 plan...and you are in the middle of the month...and run out...do you pay $15 more to convert to the $30 plan...or do you have to then pay the $30 and your cycle begins then for the $30 plan???? [Edit: Descriptions seems to indicate the later.]

So many questions about the 3g data plan.

Thanks!!

Do you men that if you have the 3G you can use AT&T free hotspots too?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, I am pretty new to this...not having any ATT service at all...and having never gotten on at a Starbucks...so I am trying to figure all this out also.

Reaction score
I remember reading a few months ago that AT&T was struggling with the bandwidth the iphones were using, so it's no surprise to me that they're going to have issues with ipads too.

I remember New York being mentioned as having a particularly difficult time with the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7

Yes, it's true. Apple rep confirmed for me at the store.

Reaction score
Yes, it's true. Apple rep confirmed for me at the store.

Well I wish they would let people who have iPhones and a wifi only iPad use Starbucks wifi as well. How much more do I have to spend to get something in return? Lol

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I signed up for the $14.99 plan as a test. Have used 18MB so far, so for daily use on 3G you would need the unlimited plan. My current rate of usage means about a week on the road would burn through 250MBs.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just checked and I am up to 31MB usage. So somewhere between a week and 2 weeks is all I would get out of 250MB.
Planning on a trip to Lubbock mid month, may have to add to the plan or limit my use away from home till then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
250MB is nothing these days... especially if you're a heavy email user and have you email set up as IMAP...

I don't have the 3G, but if you're worried about data use, make sure you turn off "push", don't browse the App store or buy things from iTunes (you entire usage will be gone) and select your email to update only once an hour or something and only download headers.

When you reply to email, don't download 'entire content' with your reply. You might just about get away with a week or two this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Well I wish they would let people who have iPhones and a wifi only iPad use Starbucks wifi as well. How much more do I have to spend to get something in return? Lol

I am not quite sure how this works out when you have an iPhone (didn't try it when I had mine)

But I have AT&T DSL, and when you go to Starbucks you just put in your username and password and you are on WiFi which is included with your account.

I have heard that it works out the same with the iPhone. All you have to do is put it your username and password and you should be good to go.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.