Help...Spinning Pinwheel!!!

Reaction score
It seems everything I do lately, gets the spinning pinwheel. Files and Programs that should just open (or save and close) right up get the spinning pinwheel. Even web pages in Safari take forever to open and load.

I have a 5 year old G5 2.5ghz and 3 GB of memory. My main hard drive with my OS and applications is 250GB with 150GB free (over 50%). I have a second drive with files, photos and such that is 150GB with 45GB free. Also 1.5TB in 2 external drives. But all the files and photos I work with are on the main drive.
It gets very frustrating. What can I do ? I'm I ready for a new machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Lets try repairing permissions

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility
Click on Your HD in the left column and then repair permissions. Should give you some relief. Post back if problem persists

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
G5 not dead yet but probably needs a spring clean- use Onyx.. Do as Tattoedmac suggests then add a new user and log in there to see if problems are there as well.
How long since you shut it down and rebooted?
Perhaps look at connection issues - r u on wireless or ethernet?
OS Tiger or Leopard? Up to date? Try combo updater.
Look here and try some of those steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2Ghz G5 /10.3.9
It seems everything I do lately, gets the spinning pinwheel. Files and Programs that should just open (or save and close) right up get the spinning pinwheel. Even web pages in Safari take forever to open and load.

I have a 5 year old G5 2.5ghz and 3 GB of memory. My main hard drive with my OS and applications is 250GB with 150GB free (over 50%). I have a second drive with files, photos and such that is 150GB with 45GB free. Also 1.5TB in 2 external drives. But all the files and photos I work with are on the main drive.
It gets very frustrating. What can I do ? I'm I ready for a new machine?

Hi: I have a G5 2gHz dual and at one time, it took a long time shutting off. I think I tried fixing permissions, but that didn't work. I have a Norton Utilities for Mac CD that I booted with, and it found sooo many things wrong with the hard drive, but fixed them all. It worked perfectly after that. "..many things" included things like that dates were not reasonable and icons were associated to different programs, etc. If you haven't done so, boot with the Mac disk, I think holding the 'C' button, and run the drive utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get Nortons well away from your Mac instantly. Even Nortons advise not using the Utility on OS X. Harry download a little utility called Applejack, print and follow the instructions and it will deep clean so there are no more shutdown problems.

Reaction score
Get Nortons well away from your Mac instantly. Even Nortons advise not using the Utility on OS X. Harry download a little utility called p[plejack, print and follow the instructions and it will deep clean so there are no more shutdown problems.

Gaaah! No kidding. That utility is not worth it.

Though I may ask, all Norton products, or just the utilities? Because I've got Norton AV running on my Mac, and it is running 24/7.

I'm going by this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq-9.html#post147879

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And go to the Norton site. See if you can find a list of what it is protecting you from.

Not the sales pitch of how it's protecting you. But a specific list of the OS X viruses it can find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.