Matched pairs w/ memory modules

Reaction score
If Apple recommends matched pairs (as I have read they do) to optimize RAM performance, how does that apply to my 20" iMac with max capacity of 3 gig? I currently have 2 512 modules on board my core duo (non-aluminum). If I want to max out my RAM to 3 gig, I'm not aware of any 1.5g modules out there.

What if I replaced one 512mb module with a 2g for a total of 2.5g? How much would the mismatch effect performance, compared to using a 1g and 2g side by side?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Tt all depends on what you do with the machine. To get 3gb you need 2x2gb or 1x2 plus 1x1gb.

Enough Ram is totally dependent on what you are going to do. Ram is cheap enough I would fill it up and enjoy the best machines on the planet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Dual Channel RAM doesn't offer that big of a performance boost if you can actually utilize all 3GB as the additional memory will offset any performance loss from the lack of dual channel mode.

If you need 3GB, then get a 2GB and 1GB module and you're set. If you don't see yourself using all the RAM, then stick with 2GB for the slight performance boost of dual channel mode.

OP
G
Reaction score
Dual Channel RAM doesn't offer that big of a performance boost if you can actually utilize all 3GB as the additional memory will offset any performance loss from the lack of dual channel mode.

If you need 3GB, then get a 2GB and 1GB module and you're set. If you don't see yourself using all the RAM, then stick with 2GB for the slight performance boost of dual channel mode.

Thx Kash. That's where i was going with my question. I do a lot of photo editing and audio recording, so I can see using the 3GB. Would the iMac see things as balanced and give me 128MBit memory addressing if I were to use 2x2GB to hit my max of 3GB?? I'm guessing not, and I'm not going to sweat it if it doesn't. I just want to max things out as much as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't waste your money on 2x2GB modules, just stick with a 2GB and a 1GB module. I can't answer your memory addressing question as I wouldn't know the answer. Perhaps somebody else can help you out with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.