(Quicksilver 2001) A bit noisy

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry to be a complete leech on my first thread/post.

I've recently bought a G4 Quicksilver 2001 edition Power Mac (if you handn't already guessed). And several parts are quite noisey. I just wanted to know if anyone else would like to reassure me that this doesn't come standard. I just though I'd check with somebody who owns a silent Quicksilver before I replaced all the noisey parts.
FYI the noisey bits are the hard drive (makes a high pitched ringing/buzz noise (bareable). The PSU makes a very low leafblower (exaggeration, but now you know) noise and the CPU fan cooler fan makes a mid-range whirr/blow noise. Also the main case fan (over the PCI and hard-drive bay i think gets quite noisey but I have it unplugged most of the time.

Thankyou muchly for any insight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
If your hard drive makes sounds like that its a sign that it may crash. You might wanna replace that but im not sure about the other stuff

Reaction score
well, you can replace all fans with silentx fans, make it nice and quiet, and if your hard drive is noisey, swap it out for a new one. segates are very very quiet, I use them exclusively and they are great, plus the 5 year warranty works as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Cheers!

Ok, thanks! I plan on swapping the fans with Acoustifans, I'm replacing a 120mm, 80mm and 60mm and acousti look good and the dB looks good for all 3. I don't know how loud the HD i'm getting will be though, it's quite a beast at 10,000rpm so I'll look into it. :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh, also. I'll be replacing all my fans with 3-pin fans (I think all the originals are 2-pin, i haven't taken out the PSU fan to find out). They come with 4-pin to 4x3-pin connectors (even though i only need one, each fan comes with one) So I'll attach one to the spare 4-pin I have in the case and attach my fans to that. Will it be a matter of just plug-and-play with the new fans?

Reaction score
Oh, also. I'll be replacing all my fans with 3-pin fans (I think all the originals are 2-pin, i haven't taken out the PSU fan to find out). They come with 4-pin to 4x3-pin connectors (even though i only need one, each fan comes with one) So I'll attach one to the spare 4-pin I have in the case and attach my fans to that. Will it be a matter of just plug-and-play with the new fans?

I think so,

check out silentx fans tho...they have the lowest DB i have seen in any case fan, and where the macs dont run hot like my amd systems, the airflow is less an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.