Firefox or Google Chrome on your Mac?

Reaction score
Sup Fellas?!

I'm new to the mac world and I would like to know what you guys prefer to use as your default browser and why. I used PC all my life and therefore I'm use to Firefox but I've been seeing a lot of youtube videos and few people recommends chrome for the mac because of the speed. Is that true that chrome works best for mac than Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.3ghz Core i5 MBP, 2G 8gb iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S
Sup Fellas?!

I'm new to the mac world and I would like to know what you guys prefer to use as your default browser and why. I used PC all my life and therefore I'm use to Firefox but I've been seeing a lot of youtube videos and few people recommends chrome for the mac because of the speed. Is that true that chrome works best for mac than Firefox?
I personally use Chrome due to just how much quick it is. I haven't tried Firefox yet as I've always found it very heavy on resources on the PC side (I'm a recent switcher too). Everything just work on Chrome and everything is kept in sync. I'm on the Dev. side as well if that matters much.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
People can (and have) debated this extensively and the answer is always the same: they're both free so try them both and make the decision for yourself. Only you can decide which one is better.

Reaction score
vansmith is correct. However, in the spirit of the thread...

I've never had any use whatsoever in OS specific browsers (IE and/or Safari). I have Chrome installed and use it once in a while. But Firefox has been my browser of choice for years.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Safari is cross-platform. It's not any good on Windows but it works with it. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also Safari is leading in most of the speed tests I run here in overall speed.

At the end of the day, it's what works the way you want it. Safari except for one issue both Van and I complain about is an excellent browser. So is Chrome. I just prefer the interface of Safari to Chrome, but Chrome is a solid browser. FF is good also but in many ways, Chrome is better as is Safari at least to me.

I do use FF on my PC's though and Linux as well as Opera which is another browser that is really good.

Try them all and see which one you prefer.

OP
erikfig
Reaction score
I installed Chrome and will use it for a few days to see how it behave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I have both Firefox and Chrome installed, but I use Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I was using Chrome as my primary browser for a very long time, but just a week or so ago I switched back to Firefox. The recent versions have closed the speed gap, and neither Safari nor Chrome has anything that can touch NoScript for when I want to be paranoid about trackers. The Session Manager addon in Firefox is also streets ahead compared with the equivalent solutions in the other browsers. It also just feels good to once again be using a browser made by people whose primary goal is to make a better web browsing experience rather than find new ways to sell my data to advertisers or make their hardware more appealing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It also just feels good to once again be using a browser made by people whose primary goal is to make a better web browsing experience rather than find new ways to sell my data to advertisers or make their hardware more appealing.

Chrome does that but Safari?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chrome and Opera. Safari is fast but has a bad habit of using resources. If Apple ever gets that fixed, I'll probably go back to using it. One thing I like about Safari is that Glims works great with it.

Reaction score
Firefox or Chrome

I for one very much prefer Chrome over all the browsers because it is more stable, updates in the background and offers killer plug-ins. It is very stable in both Mac na dPC and is fast.

I love being able to drag a tab to the desktop to create a new page or move tabs between open browser windows. I usually have 10-20 tabs open at once so this is a real timesaver and perfect for organizing windows by subject.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chrome and Opera.
A potent combination - it's the same one I use here. I've more or less moved to Chrome full time but I keep an eye on Opera.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should post that I use IE and its the best, but it really does not run on OSX! :D Grin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was a diehard Firefox user for many years, but I dipped my toes into Chrome and Safari now and then - just couldn't find a better combination of the add-ons and features that I enjoyed in either.

Then, just a few months ago, I gave Chrome a more serious look and I came away impressed. When I found Foxish Live RSS for Chrome, I was hooked. Between that and Ad Block Plus for Chrome, it was enough to tempt me to move over to it. It's funny, I was just commenting to the other mods that it seems Google has finally addressed one of my few nitpicks - Chrome forcing my MBP to switch to its discrete GPU. So, now the only outstanding nit is the jumpy zoom function. Otherwise, Chrome is now my browser of choice.

I have looked back at Firefox a couple of times with their recent series of rapid version number updates, but it just feels so clunky now. Especially since they haven't embraced some of Lion's UI elements like disappearing scroll bars and Apple-style full screen mode.

I'd echo the others' sentiments and say use whatever floats your boat... but I'm no longer as apt to endorse Firefox.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason I just don't like Chrome on Windows. Things missing that I love like the drop down menus in the bar and I saw no way to enable in the Windows version, so still use FF and Opera there. Also on Linux no Chrome or am i missing something Van?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What emulator you using Van.?

Why not ditch Opera and Chrome then and use the Superior IE designed by Balmer himself! :D hahahahah

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Oddly enough, on Windows 7, I really like IE9. I still use Firefox on my Windows machines, but IE9 is a great move in many ways... now if they'd just abandon ActiveX, I'd even recommend it as a good (relatively safe) general purpose browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Chrome does that but Safari?

Technically Apple gets paid by Google to give its users' information to Google's advertisers while providing none of the fine-tuned privacy controls present in Chrome or Firefox, but that's beside the point. Safari's primary purpose is to make Apple's hardware and ecosystem look shinier (the last part of the sentence you quoted), something that one cannot accuse Chrome of doing by virtue of the fact that Google isn't generally in the hardware business. The Safari team's conveniently iTunes-format-only implementation of HTML5 audio and video support also detracts from the notion that Apple actually cares about Safari promoting open standards, an essential part of promoting a better web experience.

This is spinning out of tangible land and into browser philosophy, which I don't think the OP was looking to get into at all, though (and clearly I don't care deeply about it since I shamelessly switch primary browsers as one gains dominance over the others). I like Firefox mostly because the browsers all have identical speed now, Firefox's list of options and extensions is far more extensive than that of the competition (one of those extensions being the best way to browse without having information collected all over the place), and themes for Firefox actually do more than change the background color, allowing me to make it look like Safari instead of the ugly troll it really is. Tab candy is also a nice exposé-esque approach to managing tabs, but much like the Reader in Safari and the Incognito window in Chrome, it's icing on the cake that I wouldn't describe as a huge selling point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.