Also Can't Get Internet... Computer Illiterate

Reaction score
I'm referring to these forums because this is my last line of possible defense. I live in another country, so help is limited and this world is pretty much run by PCs, and lonely little me with my Macbook Pro... most of my local friends just give me a :-\ and shrug their shoulders.

I have searched to the ends of the Internet and one, I can't find anything that directly answers my questions, and two, any references to my problems are answered for PC users. So here goes nothin'

My D-Link 2600 (3 in 1) Wireless Router, does not connect to the Internet. As the title of this thread suggests, I am computer illiterate, and so by process of elimination I have set up my internet connection to be IPoA... Bridging is what the default set up chooses, but that doesn't work, and neither does PPPoE--- nothing works. So far, IPoA has allowed me to connect to 192.168.1.1 through my wireless connection, while the others require me to use the Ethernet cord the entire time.

No, I cannot get Internet through the Ethernet cord, I can only get to the router page.

All the lights on my modem are lit--- but when my modem was working, the Internet light would blink, now it's a solid green. That'd be fine if I could actually get Internet pages to load, but they time out.

I had working internet for three months, and then something unfortunate happened and it's a long story, but basically I had to reset the router. I know the problem is not the ISP because my Internet has run just fine for this long. I'm pretty sure it's the router. It's been about two weeks without home Internet. Le sigh!

Is there anyone who can help? Please?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First things first - Have you attempted to connect your Mac directly to the modem instead of the router to verify it is working? Just because it worked in the past has no bearing on whether it is working now. Modems die just like any other piece of electronics.

Unplug all of your devices for 1 minute and reset the the router to undo all the changes you have already made. Then plug them back in one at a time beginning with the modem - wait for it to indicate it has internet service, then the router, wait for about 1 minute and then turn on your Mac.

If you are getting internet when plugged directly into the modem, but not the router even when using ethernet, sounds like it's time to replace the router.

OP
V
Reaction score
First things first - Have you attempted to connect your Mac directly to the modem instead of the router to verify it is working? Just because it worked in the past has no bearing on whether it is working now. Modems die just like any other piece of electronics.

Unplug all of your devices for 1 minute and reset the the router to undo all the changes you have already made. Then plug them back in one at a time beginning with the modem - wait for it to indicate it has internet service, then the router, wait for about 1 minute and then turn on your Mac.

If you are getting internet when plugged directly into the modem, but not the router even when using ethernet, sounds like it's time to replace the router.

I have a 3 in one router--- I read this as though you were referring to my router and modem as two separate entities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The cable modem or dsl modem for many people is a separate box from the router. However, more cable and dsl companies are going to what you are describing, a 3-in-1 cable modem/router/wireless access point.

So you have determined the following:
1. The computer can connect to the router both by ethernet and Airport, so the communication between the router and computer is good.
2. you confirmed that both the ethernet and airport on the computer test good.
3. You can access the router configuration page, so you know the TCP/IP (networking protocols) is working, and that you can send and receive HTML data (configuration page is a web page)
So, it appears the issue is communication between the router and your ISP. I'd call them, see if they can see your router, make sure the serial number they have on file matches the serial number of your router, and maybe they can send a signal to reset it from their end. Follow their instructions for configuring it for your home use. Let them know the results of your testing (use points 1-3 above).

Don't let them fluster you with Windows vs Mac stuff... networking is networking, and both platforms speak TCP/IP. It's just a matter putting the right information into the right boxes.

BTW, on your Mac - leave it set for DHCP, and don't put anything in the DNS boxes to begin with. Let the router take care of all of that. If you want to tweak it later, fine, but let the router do its job first.

OP
V
Reaction score
The cable modem or dsl modem for many people is a separate box from the router. However, more cable and dsl companies are going to what you are describing, a 3-in-1 cable modem/router/wireless access point.

So you have determined the following:
1. The computer can connect to the router both by ethernet and Airport, so the communication between the router and computer is good.
2. you confirmed that both the ethernet and airport on the computer test good.
3. You can access the router configuration page, so you know the TCP/IP (networking protocols) is working, and that you can send and receive HTML data (configuration page is a web page)
So, it appears the issue is communication between the router and your ISP. I'd call them, see if they can see your router, make sure the serial number they have on file matches the serial number of your router, and maybe they can send a signal to reset it from their end. Follow their instructions for configuring it for your home use. Let them know the results of your testing (use points 1-3 above).

Don't let them fluster you with Windows vs Mac stuff... networking is networking, and both platforms speak TCP/IP. It's just a matter putting the right information into the right boxes.

BTW, on your Mac - leave it set for DHCP, and don't put anything in the DNS boxes to begin with. Let the router take care of all of that. If you want to tweak it later, fine, but let the router do its job first.

Thank you! That gives me some hope! My next step is to try and translate this into Russian so that my friends can make the call for me lol -- my Russian, well, is not that good haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.