Question about the way 'Finder' works

Reaction score
Why does Finder keep showing multiples of stuff? It shows multiples of photos that are in my iPhoto library...and even two copies of my 2009 tax pdf. I'm not sure if this means the files are different in some way?? Wishing Finder would show just ONE of anything. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
That's just an iphoto thing. It has a weird way of storing your files. The rest of the OS is not like this. And for the most part this iphoto issue is not worth worrying about. Just keep on using iphoto as you have been and things will be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You could go into Finder>Preferences and change what shows up in the sidebar of Finder. You could for a quick fix click the little Triangle and collapse it all.

What you are looking at too, if you are looking in the 'All' Images, Documents and Movies are only *aliases*. They only take up 4-5kb so if its space you are worried about no need to . . . . Basically a shortcut

Cheers

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to 'the8thark' and 'TattooedMac' !

I will stop worrying about the over abundance of lookalikes. ;o)
I guess I just wondered if there were variations in content between the multiples shown within Finder... especially in regard to 'tweeked photos' (as I would want to use the latest and greatest if adjusted) and in regard to documents (words may have been changed).

So then would it be better to not use Finder to open anything? and preferably access my stuff more directly via my iPhoto library...and my documents folder?

-rivergull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If all your pics are in iPhoto access them that way, but other stuff like documents are easily accessible via Finder.
If you start to suff around with Pics via finder you can severely stuff up your Photo library, which you dont want to do, but all other bits you want to access is done easy via Finder :)

HTH

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thanks to 'the8thark' and 'TattooedMac' !

I will stop worrying about the over abundance of lookalikes. ;o)
I guess I just wondered if there were variations in content between the multiples shown within Finder... especially in regard to 'tweeked photos' (as I would want to use the latest and greatest if adjusted) and in regard to documents (words may have been changed).

So then would it be better to not use Finder to open anything? and preferably access my stuff more directly via my iPhoto library...and my documents folder?

-rivergull

Have you tried using the 'Favorites' tool in Finder? If you right click on a folder that you use often you can create shortcuts, known as 'aliases'. You can then drag them to 'Favorites' and, if you want, rename them, e.g. removing the word alias. You can then go to Preferences and make Finder open with Favorites as 'TattoedMac' suggests. Thanks for that; I didn't know about it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to all for 'Finder' advice

To everyone in this thread. I'm going to try to put your information to good use. I still think iPhoto does some weird things. My new digital camera came with Lightroom... and I'm hoping I like it better than iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]
What exactly is iPhoto even used for? Just for organizing photos? New Mac user, purchased mine last month. -_-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OP
R
Reaction score
Re: iPhoto

What exactly is iPhoto even used for? Just for organizing photos? New Mac user, purchased mine last month. -_-

YES...it's a photo organizer with tools to enhance the image. Just upload your digitals via USB on iMac...goes straight to iPhoto. It's great, but has some quirky file folder issues. Overall, I LOVE my iMac...goodbye PC....and welcome onboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.