The iPhone

Reaction score
My carrier Sprint know has the iPhone and I am eligible for a upgrade in March. I am currently using a BlackBerry Curve 3G with OS 6. I may consider moving to the iPhone but have questions.

1) Can Facetime be used over standard cellular or does it always require WIFI?
2) Can the iPhone be synced with iTunes so I can get Podcasts and such?
3) Can I play all my movies, TV shows and such that will not sync with my BB due to itunes copyrights?
4) Is there a memo pad app and if so with what app can it sync with? Entourage?
5) How is the voice notes recorder? Is it similar to that in the iPad nano?
6) What are the issues with the iPhone over the Blackberry? Please compare iPhone to a MODERN BB and not some ancient beast running OS 4.x.

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1) Needs wifi, although I've heard there's an app that will bypass this.
2) yes
3) can you get those onto iTunes? If not, you have DRM issues... not much can help that.
4) there's a memo app. I don't use it, and don't use Entourage.. so I donno
5) probably very similar.
6) I'm not sure exactly what you mean. They're different devices, each with their own problems and benefits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi, just to add to Dysfunction's efforts...I had a BB Curve before iPhone 4 and also used Entourage as my default mail with an iBook G4 running Office for Mac.

With regards to your 4th question if you are syncing with Mac then I would recommend that you use Mail as your default e mail app. I know Entourage has a nice, more business like feel to it but to be honest there doesn't seem to be any serious benefit to using it any more.

The new 'Reminders' app with Lion functions with iCal and not Mail and the 'remind' options are substantive.

There is also cool feature with the iPhone, if anybody sends you a text or mail with a date in the content it will highlight it, and if you touch the date it will give you the option of adding it to iCal as an appointment, which will then sync wirelessly if you are on iCloud. Probably Siri will no doubt take care of this in the future.

I was also using an app called 'Errands' on the iPhone (it was good) but I've not used it since I upgraded to Lion and iOS5..Reminders is better and fully integrated. There is a Notes app on the iPhone but I've never used it because I couldn't see the point.

Re question 5 the Recorder is very good and syncs with iTunes. I've no experience of a voice recorder app on my iPod and am not sure what an iPad 'nano' is ;P

Re question 6.. it is an enormous leap from a Qwerty keyboard/Trackball/Small Screen environment to a relatively large touchscreen environment and you are bound to see a slowdown in comms times whilst you get the hang of a touchscreen keyboard and sliding panes. The 2 devices are like chalk and cheese.

That said I would never,ever go back.Apart from everything else I found the Music app on the BB pretty awful and the sound quality just as poor. The camera also IMHO is 'pants'. You will use your iPod less and less and your iPhone pretty much for everything.

One thing to note, you will need to set your email account up as Imap and not POP otherwise you won't get the server syncing that you had on your BB e.g. deleting a mail on the phone would give the option of deleting it on the server and thus your mail app on your home/work machine.

OP
E
Reaction score
I know that mail is a disadvantage, however all else is better it seems on the iphone. I agree with you about the BB music app. It pales in comparison to that on the iPod. But I have to wonder if using a all in one device is a good idea.

Hi, just to add to Dysfunction's efforts...I had a BB Curve before iPhone 4 and also used Entourage as my default mail with an iBook G4 running Office for Mac.

With regards to your 4th question if you are syncing with Mac then I would recommend that you use Mail as your default e mail app. I know Entourage has a nice, more business like feel to it but to be honest there doesn't seem to be any serious benefit to using it any more.

The new 'Reminders' app with Lion functions with iCal and not Mail and the 'remind' options are substantive.

There is also cool feature with the iPhone, if anybody sends you a text or mail with a date in the content it will highlight it, and if you touch the date it will give you the option of adding it to iCal as an appointment, which will then sync wirelessly if you are on iCloud. Probably Siri will no doubt take care of this in the future.

I was also using an app called 'Errands' on the iPhone (it was good) but I've not used it since I upgraded to Lion and iOS5..Reminders is better and fully integrated. There is a Notes app on the iPhone but I've never used it because I couldn't see the point.

Re question 5 the Recorder is very good and syncs with iTunes. I've no experience of a voice recorder app on my iPod and am not sure what an iPad 'nano' is ;P

Re question 6.. it is an enormous leap from a Qwerty keyboard/Trackball/Small Screen environment to a relatively large touchscreen environment and you are bound to see a slowdown in comms times whilst you get the hang of a touchscreen keyboard and sliding panes. The 2 devices are like chalk and cheese.

That said I would never,ever go back.Apart from everything else I found the Music app on the BB pretty awful and the sound quality just as poor. The camera also IMHO is 'pants'. You will use your iPod less and less and your iPhone pretty much for everything.

One thing to note, you will need to set your email account up as Imap and not POP otherwise you won't get the server syncing that you had on your BB e.g. deleting a mail on the phone would give the option of deleting it on the server and thus your mail app on your home/work machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I know that mail is a disadvantage, however all else is better it seems on the iphone. I agree with you about the BB music app. It pales in comparison to that on the iPod. But I have to wonder if using a all in one device is a good idea.

I still hard wire sync with my iPod as well so it's a personal preference really.
If I want decent photos I still use my Lumix.
I found over time that I'm using my other equipment less and less for convenience though. I'm finding the iPhone a good work tool , particularly with iCloud.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.