Some apps just wont open including mail

Reaction score
Some apps, specifically iTunes, Spotify and mail don't respond when I click on them in the dock. Spotify and iTunes jump up and down suggesting they're opening but eventually they stop jumping but don't open. When I right click it says application not responding.

Mail opens fine on startup (I have it opening automatically) but when I notice a badge showing new mail then click on it to show the app, nothing happens. Right clicking again shows application not responding.

Restarting my mac sorts it out for a while but then after a few hours the problem is there again.

15 " macBook Pro 2.4 GHz 10.6.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If restarting sorts it out for a while, i suggest you run Repair Disk Permissions

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities

then in the left column click Your HD and then Repair Permissions.

I think that will sort out a lot of your problems :)

Ohh and welcome to the forum :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
YW and let us know the result as if that doesnt fix it, and with some more info from you, hopefully we can sort your problem out ...

Post back

Cheers

OP
N
Reaction score
Well I've repaired permission and spoitfy and mail still are crashing. I haven't restarted the computer though, but I know that would fix it anyway. Should the repair have worked without having to restart (it didn't prompt me to)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Can I ask why you haven't restarted the computer to see if the simple reboot worked?
You may suspect, but you can't "know" that it won't fix it!
It's just basic troubleshooting, and pretty much the first step is to reboot, not that I am saying it will fix things, but I am not going to rule it out either.
In fact, I will throw the troubleshooting thread link at you to go through, and LOL, reboot is the first step on that list, but it also has quite a few others to try..... unless you don't want to :)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

OP
N
Reaction score
Can I ask why you haven't restarted the computer to see if the simple reboot worked?
You may suspect, but you can't "know" that it won't fix it!
It's just basic troubleshooting, and pretty much the first step is to reboot, not that I am saying it will fix things, but I am not going to rule it out either.
In fact, I will throw the troubleshooting thread link, which LOL, is the first step on that list, but also has quite a few others to try..... unless you don't want to :)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Have done now!

I think I didn't want it to restart because I was impatient to know if repairing permissions worked, as if I restarted it always sorted the problem anyway and would mean waiting for a random time til it started not working again!

Anyway, it is working now, so I'll keep you posted if it does it again.

Thanks for all's help.

OP
N
Reaction score
It's doing it again :( Only iTunes though atm, it just jumps up and down then sits there unopened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you update to OS X.6.2 using the Combo Updater? If not do that now as it does take care of a lot of these little problems:-

Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You may have updated to 10.6.2, but it doesn't automatically update with the combo update.
try Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo) and see if it dies the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As I stated three posts ago use the Combo Updater directly from the Apple web site!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sorry I misunderstood, I didn't realise some updates had to be manually looked for and installed.

You're correct. Most don't have to be done manually. As a matter of fact, I think the "combo update" is the first one in a long while that you had to go to apple.com for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.