Why do I need to pay for CCC?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Recently I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner trial version in order to supplement my existing Time Machine Backup with a bootable copy of my HD.
I was surprised to find it is no longer Donationware and with the current exchange rate would cost me almost $50.00 AUS.
So it occurred to me that as I don't really require incremental backups via CCC (TM does this already) why not simply keep the boot partition in case my overworked MacBook crashes, boot up from my old original CCC backup and use TM to do a full restore? That way I don't really need to purchase a full registered version until I can afford it.
What do you guys think?

C

chas_m

You can certainly do it that way if you want. Personally I think the guy deserves the support, he's made a great product that I know saved my bacon a time or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You can certainly do it that way if you want. Personally I think the guy deserves the support, he's made a great product that I know saved my bacon a time or two.

He does say until he can afford it, so he will get it when he can,

That way I don't really need to purchase a full registered version until I can afford it.

But why not go the way of SuperDuper! which does Bootable clones like CCC and its half the price. I bought this a while ago now, and the extra options are well worth the $, but you can wait until you can afford CCC.
Just another option :)
PS With the AUD they way it is, it will cost $30. I got it when we were @ $1.10 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The disadvantage of TM is that it is not bootable should your internal hard drive give up the ghost. Like Tattooed I use SD but either way let the guy feed his family and purchase whatever software you go with.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree

Thanks Chas_M, I wholeheatedly agree with you, Bombich software have been great and thier online support has been prompt and spot on every time. I will purchase a registration as soon as funds allow. In the mean time I am on holidays in Indonesia and just wanted to ensure that I could boot from an external HD should the worst happen.
Cheers,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.